Keeping bugs out of my drying woodpile wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HavinFun

ArboristSite Lurker
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will be stacking cut and split wood on heavy duty pallets soon for next year’s heating season. These pallets will be on an unpaved dirt road near woods. Is there a technique to keep the ants and other critters from nesting in the drying wood? I like the little critters but don’t want them close to the house when I move the wood in late fall. I can put the pallets on a tarmac parking area if that will reduce the chance of the bugs getting into the wood. I will have a mix of hard and soft wood. Thanks.

In 30 yrs of stacking firewood 4" off the ground I don't think I've ever seen ants move in and nest. A few times carpenter ants have already been present in hollow limbs, and wood roaches collect under some lower pieces, but that's about it. Borers creating piles of sawdust in stacked hickory can be annoying though.

Gents,
Thanks for the advice. I read up on it a little, and I think spraying a dilution of peppermint oil and water will keep most bugs away and not let them get settled. I like the idea of raising the stacks 4” and will incorporate into my plan. Best regards.

Latest posts

Back