I’m finally back to wood burning again! Time for a catch up with my firewood forum friends!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This may be the latest in the year I’ve ever fired up the basement wood furnace. It’s been a mild fall here in Ohio but it finally dumped 5 inches of snow and made it into the twenties last night. I’m not complaining! I actually got a rare late November motorcycle ride in Sunday!

Per my routine the last decade or so I always check in with my friends here at arboristsite on the first burning. I’m a somewhat WTF thread lurker thru the year but the firewood forum is for wood burning season! How’s everyone doing?

Few questions u can answer from last year for me so I can catch up:

- Is the fiskars x27 still king or do they have lithium ion hand splitters yet? Tell me they do! My gas powered Speeco 22 ton actually got some use this summer vs. the mauls because I had some tough wood. Or I’m getting old. Toss up!

- Has anyone else in my area of the country had to fell an ash tree lately? Because the last two seasons I just wait for a good blow and I have 3 more to cut up in my wood lot. Good firewood yet but sad. Those were supposed to be good lumber for me someday. Plus I miss the thrill of dropping them! Their getting so sketchy at the bases now I don’t touch many of them. But man I hate hangers too.

- And finally... is Uncle Mustache at 20 or 27 kids now?? I’ve gotta be close!

It’s getting to a cozy 75 in the house now so I’ll sign out. Let’s see some replies of some woodstacks, fires, and the new roomba firewood cutter vacuum if you’ve seen one! Actually, my new neighbor down the road has one of the Husqvarna yard mower versions of it. Even though it’s a husky the jury is still out on whether or not I ask for his man-card!
Feel free to post pics. I’m embarrassed to say I don’t have any recent ones. I’ll have to settle on my 8 yr old and I harvesting some our big pumpkins instead of big wood. We’ll fix that soon!

Attachments

• 612859B7-8845-4C63-A820-A7F58E371057.jpeg
    612859B7-8845-4C63-A820-A7F58E371057.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 22
Thanks Del. My sister lived in Woodstock for a few years. Beautiful State. And I personally learned how to respect fire ants at Kennesaw State park. Don’t have those up here!
She moved back here when she started a family but sure misses the mild winters. And I miss the March visit vacations too.

This may be the latest in the year I’ve ever fired up the basement wood furnace. It’s been a mild fall here in Ohio but it finally dumped 5 inches of snow and made it into the twenties last night. I’m not complaining! I actually got a rare late November motorcycle ride in Sunday!

Per my routine the last decade or so I always check in with my friends here at arboristsite on the first burning. I’m a somewhat WTF thread lurker thru the year but the firewood forum is for wood burning season! How’s everyone doing?

Few questions u can answer from last year for me so I can catch up:

- Is the fiskars x27 still king or do they have lithium ion hand splitters yet? Tell me they do! My gas powered Speeco 22 ton actually got some use this summer vs. the mauls because I had some tough wood. Or I’m getting old. Toss up!

- Has anyone else in my area of the country had to fell an ash tree lately? Because the last two seasons I just wait for a good blow and I have 3 more to cut up in my wood lot. Good firewood yet but sad. Those were supposed to be good lumber for me someday. Plus I miss the thrill of dropping them! Their getting so sketchy at the bases now I don’t touch many of them. But man I hate hangers too.

- And finally... is Uncle Mustache at 20 or 27 kids now?? I’ve gotta be close!

It’s getting to a cozy 75 in the house now so I’ll sign out. Let’s see some replies of some woodstacks, fires, and the new roomba firewood cutter vacuum if you’ve seen one! Actually, my new neighbor down the road has one of the Husqvarna yard mower versions of it. Even though it’s a husky the jury is still out on whether or not I ask for his man-card!
Feel free to post pics. I’m embarrassed to say I don’t have any recent ones. I’ll have to settle on my 8 yr old and I harvesting some our big pumpkins instead of big wood. We’ll fix that soon!
Welcome back
The firewood season is definitely starting.
I'm glad to be burning again and have even made the Wife into a good firewood burner and I must say she's getting pretty good at it.
I come home form work to a nice toasty house with the woodstove going good and more wood in the indoor rack.
I built some new outdoor firewood racks and am now starting my new firewood shed with log splitter storage shed.
With the increased lumber prices it will hurt my pocketbook a bit more, but all worth it in the end. Plus I like building and burning with wood so it's always a win\win.
Sad to say I don't have any new fangled tech to clean or clear lawns or woodchips, just old school tools and a strong back.
Take care and happy burning.
IMG_20200509_200233429.jpg IMG_20200509_195706236.jpg IMG_20200509_200143570.jpg
The 4 new outdoor racks are under a covered and cantilevered deck and are on both sides of a main entry door.
Nothing fancy, just PT 2x4s but the matching stain helps the aesthetics.
They're lifted off the ground a bit to easily remove leaves, bark and wood bits out from under while loaded.
The back rack is easier to access by making the front rack stretchers removable so you don't have to reach over them to get wood from back racks.
The fun part was staining the underside of the deck. I did it in three sections. One each over the firewood racks and then the middle section. The two end sections took about 4 hours each with the middle section taking 6 hours.
So 14 hours of overhead staining with a brush, some while standing on a platform. Hope I don't need to do it again for a while.
Good times!
IMG_20200701_172453004 - Copy.jpg

Hah! Had to start burning back in October just to get rid of some wood.

I retired and started helping my brother at his sawmill and logging on the weekends and with all the dead ash we got around here everyone and everybody wants them gone.

My brother gets the logs and I get all the tops.
Got 12 cords piled up beside the driveway and wife is starting to *****.
Got 5 cords out at the boiler.
Hope I'm not starting an ash bore farm. Lol
Stay warm

Howdy again gang! I usually start a new thread annually but life and family gets in the way now more these days so I don’t post as much. No complaints because as the kids get older they’re better helpers with my firewood gathering. Just lit the first indoor fire of the season with my youngest boy tonight. The 9 year old needed little guidance to get it going. So I think this world just might just be ok. lol. Nice to be back burning with the arborist site family. I’ll throw in some pics for the inaugural burning eve too.

Attachments

• 62E13999-B995-47EA-A2B0-0A7066ECC8F4.jpeg
    62E13999-B995-47EA-A2B0-0A7066ECC8F4.jpeg
    7.8 MB · Views: 12
  • 0884B466-B9B9-48A0-B996-440F596AACD9.jpeg
    0884B466-B9B9-48A0-B996-440F596AACD9.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 13
Back