Buying A Axe for Splitting Oak Firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We're talking about a crotch piece with metal in it, 30-inches at one end, a bit over 20-inches at the other. I'd need to get it set to follow the grain on one part of the crotch, and control it, and keep it from squirting out... it ain't a "log", it's a big nasty hunk of twisted, gnarled wood.

If it was me and I wanted to "defeat" this piece I would take an almost dead chain, sharpen it up one last time and start cutting until I found the metal. Then work your way around it and get the two pieces separated.

This reminds me of the time I cut apart an outhouse and hit the toilet seat studs with my chain. That wasnt pretty... ;)

So will Fiskars work on white oak? Isn't oak a harder wood than hard maple?

Sent from my XT881 using Tapatalk 2

"Hardness" of the wood is no clue to splitability. Black Locust is a very hard dense wood but splits fairly easily as a species but I have some trees that were hard splitting.

Both red and white oak are hard but red splits easy, white hard.

Harry K

can someone posta picture of the original fiskars Super Splitter.

I have an x27 but am always looking to expand my supply if the price is right !

L O L !

I have one big/nasty sittin' next to the old hog barn that I've beat on with the maul likely over 200 times... every once-in-a-while I drag it out and beat on it a few times, and usually the maul just bounces off. It's a 4-limb crotch from an old gnarly Bur Oak... about 18 inches long, 30 inches diameter at the "crotched limbs" end, 22 at the other end. It's way, way too heavy to put on the splitter, and has a big hunk of metal something embedded in it... I'd noodle it, but the damn thing has already cost me one chain. I suppose I could start slabbing pieces off the sides if I really wanted to... but I've decided I'm gonna' halve that POS if it takes the rest of my natural born. Just flat stubbornness, both me and it... but I'll win one of these days, even if I end up chopping through it an eighth-inch at a time.

Love it! I just don't have that kind of persistence anymore. If I beat on a piece for a while and don't get anywhere, I just give up. I put it in the pile for outdoor burning and forget about it. They burn in the fire pit and that's my sweet revenge.

Love it! I just don't have that kind of persistence anymore. If I beat on a piece for a while and don't get anywhere, I just give up. I put it in the pile for outdoor burning and forget about it. They burn in the fire pit and that's my sweet revenge.

Nah, It's good to have one like that to pound out your frustrations. Had to do that tonight. My daughter came home, started the tub, then left. I came in to HOT water pouring out the side of the tub with no one home. If it wasn't for that hickory crotch, I may have killed her. Or had a heart attack, blood pressure was really high.

can someone posta picture of the original fiskars Super Splitter.

I have an x27 but am always looking to expand my supply if the price is right !

some comparison pics in this thread.

http://www.arboristsite.com/firewood-heating-wood-burning-equipment/191074.htm

I know I was disappointed when they lost the wedge shape and went to an axe shape with the x25 and x27. IMO, they should have kept the original shape, and just had a longer handled version as another option.

I want to try an x39, but they don't sell them in the US.

Does it matter on 6 or 8lb maul? Both are $30 @ tractor supply, 8lb(Head Length - 8-1/2 in.Head Width - 2-5/7 in.)head is little bigger than the 6lb(Head Length - 8 in. Head Width - 2-2/5 in) and made by Truper

Does it matter on 6 or 8lb maul? Both are $30 @ tractor supply, 8lb(Head Length - 8-1/2 in.Head Width - 2-5/7 in.)head is little bigger than the 6lb(Head Length - 8 in. Head Width - 2-2/5 in) and made by Truper

The truper 6 lb head looks better to me. the design. I know the two different ones you are talking about. None of the ones at my local TSC had an edge worth a flip, they all would need realistic sharpening first.

I ended up buying the 8lb head splitting maul. I'm still looking for a local retailer that has x27. Walmart doesnt carry the x27 but has the x36.

I ended up buying the 8lb head splitting maul. I'm still looking for a local retailer that has x27. Walmart doesnt carry the x27 but has the x36.

I can't find what an x36 is. Are you sure about that model number? What did it look like and how heavy was it and the handle length. Thanks in advance.

I can't find what an x36 is. Are you sure about that model number? What did it look like and how heavy was it and the handle length. Thanks in advance.

It 36 inch handle. The price sticker says x36 or 36. Didn't look anything like a x27.

I'm a big fan of the Stihl PA80 maul. A splitting axe would be nice, but I don't want to waste time switching tools. We stand up a few dozen at a time and wade through them. I use the PA80 for everything from 6" and above. 15 cords down with mine this year.

Got the skinny

Maybe there discontinuing the x27 and x36 is replacing it.

OK, just got off the phone with Fiskars customer service. This is not an X series designation, this is the new A series axe, as thery are differentiating them. It is almost identical to the x27. The handle is different textured at the end, and the head coating is a little different.

Customer service is contacting fiskars engineering for me, I gave them my contact information, we will discuss axe design and also find out if/when we can see their higher end mauls they sell in europe over here, like the x39. I will update when I have more info. I also invited them to register a representative to chime in over here and post.

Back