Buying a bar for a McCulloch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samdweezel05

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I am not sure how many different mounting styles there were/are for McCulloch saws. I want to find a 24" and a 30" bar to fit my 1-50 and also the SP80. Do they both use the same bar? The 1-50 is a .404" and I haven't check the SP80 yet. I have a bar and chain for the 1-50. I don't have the 1-50 here so I can't just check it myself. I don't need to have original Mac bars so I just want to know what fits what so I can look at some aftermarket stuff.

welcome to the club...

for my 1-61 and 660 i'm planing on ether taking a husky bar and milling another 1/16" out of the slot and re-drilling the oil hole the other is to get a stihl bar and make adapters that it on the studs and adjust the oil hole as needed

welcome to the club...

for my 1-61 and 660 i'm planing on ether taking a husky bar and milling another 1/16" out of the slot and re-drilling the oil hole the other is to get a stihl bar and make adapters that it on the studs and adjust the oil hole as needed

I have both Stihl bars and Husky bars here and at work so I will check out what they need to modify. Thanks.

I also see that the SP80 has 3/8" and my 1-50 is .404" so I will have to find different bars for each of them. The 1-50 wears a 16" bar and chain right now.

Last edited:
Let us see that 660 ya squirt

it trys to bite me when i pick it up...:msp_scared:

well so long to not hijacking the thread....

it dose have the 2:1 box and a hl63
i'm looking for a clutch cover for the 660 if you see one

2012-10-14_13-52-59_603.jpg

2012-10-14_13-52-49_376.jpg

2012-10-14_13-53-08_782.jpg

2012-10-14_13-53-35_591.jpg

2012-10-14_13-54-11_511.jpg

Last edited:
The big McCulloch saws have a 3/8" bar stud, many bars will interchange with big old Homelites but there are quite a few McCulloch bars out there. Virtually any large saw from the D-44 forward will share bars. Some of the older direct drive saws used a screw with an oversized head to engage the bar for adjustment, but even those had the proper oiler holes and holes for the more convetional bar adjust dog.

The 10 Series McCulloch saw have 5/16" studs though you can find simple adapters that will let you use a large mount bar on the smaller saws. One style adapter is like a small spring that fits over the stud making up the difference, the other is a small sheet metal figure 8 that lays over the bar studs to take up the clearance.

I would go ahead and get a bar dedicated to the 10 Series saw as they will be narrower and therefore lighter in weight, and look better on those saws. The same bar mount (D176) will fit all 10 Series direct drive saws, the 600 Series (610, 605, etc.) and the Titan models (Titan 50/57/70, etc.).

Mark

The big McCulloch saws have a 3/8" bar stud, many bars will interchange with big old Homelites but there are quite a few McCulloch bars out there. Virtually any large saw from the D-44 forward will share bars. Some of the older direct drive saws used a screw with an oversized head to engage the bar for adjustment, but even those had the proper oiler holes and holes for the more convetional bar adjust dog.

The 10 Series McCulloch saw have 5/16" studs though you can find simple adapters that will let you use a large mount bar on the smaller saws. One style adapter is like a small spring that fits over the stud making up the difference, the other is a small sheet metal figure 8 that lays over the bar studs to take up the clearance.

I would go ahead and get a bar dedicated to the 10 Series saw as they will be narrower and therefore lighter in weight, and look better on those saws. The same bar mount (D176) will fit all 10 Series direct drive saws, the 600 Series (610, 605, etc.) and the Titan models (Titan 50/57/70, etc.).

Mark

The other posts were helpful but this is exactly the info I was looking for. Thank you very much.

Great info...I like the idea of buying a more readily available Husky bar and doing a little milling and drilling. To take it a step further, I was told by the local Stihl dealer that my 660 had a .404 chain and that it was likely a .050 gauge chain...I haven't pulled it to check yet. He said he could make me a chain no problem, but all he had was .063 gauge. If I bought a .063 gauge bar and chain, will it still run on the drive sprocket that is currently mounted on the saw? Also, my 660 is a 3/1 reduction. The 2/1 is less common?

Latest posts

Back