Buying a good trailer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adirondack

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am looking for a single axel trailer which will hold from 2000-3000 lbs. Mainly I am going to haul wood but I will also will use it to for hauling tractors. I have seen trailers at menards and home depot. Are there any other options that are out there? Any trailer sites?

I've been thinking about picking up an old one ton with an electric dump. Chop the cab sell the drive train and tow it with my one ton van. A dumper would be sweet! But not so good for hauling tractors. Check the link. I just saw one here in NH on Craigslist that had a winch on it. Lots of options!

http://www.maxidump.com/

Last edited:
Hi Adirondack

Wood is heavy. I saw it posted here that a cord of wet oak was around 3000 lbs. If a am wrong someone please correct me.

On most any trailer you have to subtract the weight of the trailer from what you can haul. There are a lot of used carhaulers that you can put pockets and side racks on. That can handle the weight and would be stronger and last longer. Especially as you want to haul tractors too. As with barns get one bigger than you think you will need. As you will find you will run out of space fast.

Also electric brakes will make it a lot more safer and save the brakes on you truck.

Good luck

Billy

3,000 pounds is less than a cord of seasoned hardwood. Some green wood gets close to 5,500 pounds or more a cord. If you are planning to haul this much wood I would start with a bigger trailer instead of overloading a smaller one.

It is harder to overload a 12' -14' tandem axle than it is to overload a 10' single axle.

forget a single axle trailer for what you are wanting to haul.

a min.. tandem 3500 axles with brakes on both axles.
better would be 5k lb or better yet 2x 7k lbs axles.

my 20ft (18 w/dove) trailer has tandem 7k lbs axles with brakes on both axles.

it's not what you can pull... worry about what you can stop!

Get a tandem axle with electric brakes on both axles in the 16' to 18' range. I can haul more wood on in one trip than I used to get on in 2 trips with a 12' single axle trailer. When it comes to trailers more weight capacity is rarely a detriment.

My trailer is about 6 feet wide and 9 feet long with sides that are only about a foot high. It has 10 ply tires and a very strong axle and springs, it can haul about 6,000 pounds pretty easily. If I load it up with green wood......the tires are bulging and it has all the weight it can handle. It is surprising how heavy wood is....and it doesn't take long to overload a trailer. If you buy one of the lightweight single axle trailers from the Big Box Stores.....you will have it overloaded very quickly.

attachment.php

Aluminum Trailers

I was never sold on aluminum landscape trailers until I started using one. I sell trailers and figured that the aluminum wouldn't hold up like steel. Since I started using the aluminum trailer for my personal use, I haven't gone back.

Last winter, I would go into the woods for firewood with my 16' tandem axle and usually get about 4,000 lbs. worth of wood on it.

Aluminum costs more than steel up front. Aluminum won't rust and doesn't need to be painted. It's much lighter too, so you can lift an empty trailer and pull it to the hitch easier. Mine has a fold down ramp gate too. Great for hauling a zero-turn mower on. If you plan on keeping the trailer for a long time, go with aluminum.

Here's a link http://geterdumped.com/Aluminum.html

:)

Stopping

ELECTRIC BRAKES ARE NOT NEGOTIABLE,GOTTA HAVE EM OR YOU MAY END UP WITH THAT DOGGIE IN FRONT OF YOU................YOWWWWWWWW:jawdrop:

I have an all Al enclosed trailer (16’, v-nose, tandem 3500lb axels, drive on / drive off). I would not recommend a heavy load bouncing down the road with Al welds. Al is great for some things but when things get heavy nothing replaces steel and iron.

If you are in SE Wisconsin, Tom's Trailers on the NW side of Milwaukee will set you up properly. I've dealt with him a few times, fair, good stuff.

The Corral out of Sullivan, Wisconsin, new and used trailers, generational family business, nice folks, good equipment.

PJ trailers near Johnson Creek, at hwy 26/ Interstate 94, they build, sell retail and wholesale to many other trailer retailers.

There are tons of others, pick up a copy of Auto/RV next time you are at the gas station, its a free weekly publication, and has plenty of ads in the back with dealers and private sellers in the state. Lot of options to choose from without going to big box store, which lacks the follow up support you may need or the trade in capability when you realize its time to upgrade.

Keep in mind, Wisconsin requires registration on trailers exceeding #1500 gvwr.
Also, call your auto insurance carrier, it needs to be an additional item on the policy.
Electric brakes are a wonderful thing, and make for a great item at resale or trade in time. And the brake controller in the vehicle then allows you to use any trailer with brakes and even better, rent a trailer that will have brakes for the occasional heavy load.

Renting a flat 16' trailer, 10,000# gvw only costs $50-$60/day, great way to handle that occasional oversize load, and just buy what you need for the majority of your needs.

Good luck, lot of deals out there.

PS.. Have to agree with the tandem axle choice folks are talking about, and it really sunk in for me when my 83yr old dad was commenting on his first one for hauling wood and his Ford 8n tractor around, he wished he'd bought a tandem axle 40yrs sooner.

BUT, it depends on what you have for a tow vehicle, space to park it when not in use, budget, and other details only you are aware of.

Last edited:
Man, I gotta agree with the electric brakes option. I have a 16 foot tandem axle with no brakes,and it is zero fun when full of wood. I pull mine with a Dodge Dakota, and have had on more than one occasion wish the trailer didnt rely on the truck for stopping.
My Dakota will pull anything that the trailer can haul, but stopping is another story all together.

so how much is an aluminum landscape trailer cost?

no info on web site.. called company... not too helpful... won't give out prices

by the way... a direct proportional brake controller makes all the difference in the world in braking abilities.

most brake controllers work on inertial... this means your tow vehicles' brakes has to do the initial stopping. before rear brakes will work... this is bad! brake fade will result vs proportional brakes work from the minute you step on the brake pedal and force rear brakes to work the same strength as your front brakes are being used.

I was never sold on aluminum landscape trailers until I started using one. I sell trailers and figured that the aluminum wouldn't hold up like steel. Since I started using the aluminum trailer for my personal use, I haven't gone back.

Last winter, I would go into the woods for firewood with my 16' tandem axle and usually get about 4,000 lbs. worth of wood on it.

Aluminum costs more than steel up front. Aluminum won't rust and doesn't need to be painted. It's much lighter too, so you can lift an empty trailer and pull it to the hitch easier. Mine has a fold down ramp gate too. Great for hauling a zero-turn mower on. If you plan on keeping the trailer for a long time, go with aluminum.

Here's a link http://geterdumped.com/Aluminum.html

:)

Last edited:
Thanks everyone and wdchuck,

Great info from everyone. :clap:

Good point on what I am going to pull it with. The thread was to gain information about a trailer as to help me purchase my 4X4. We have looked at a Ford 150 King Cab or RAM 1500 extended cab for hauling wood and kids. I like the idea of having a pickup because I could carry small loads of wood without having to hook up a trailer. Then the suggestion of renting a trailer when I really need it might be a good idea to try different trailers before I buy. The other option is buy a SUV size with no bed but good towing capacity and only carry wood on a trailer. This will be my wife's main form of transportation. :dizzy:

Thanks everyone and wdchuck,

Great info from everyone. :clap:

Good point on what I am going to pull it with. The thread was to gain information about a trailer as to help me purchase my 4X4. We have looked at a Ford 150 King Cab or RAM 1500 extended cab for hauling wood and kids. I like the idea of having a pickup because I could carry small loads of wood without having to hook up a trailer. Then the suggestion of renting a trailer when I really need it might be a good idea to try different trailers before I buy. The other option is buy a SUV size with no bed but good towing capacity and only carry wood on a trailer. This will be my wife's main form of transportation. :dizzy:

I'd opt for the truck over the SUV, but my situation is different than yours.

Depending on the size of your tractor and any implements (brush hog, etc) that you may want to travel with, it sounds more and more like a 16' with dual #3500 braked axles will suit your purpose.

You could go up to the next level and get dual #5200 or #6000 braked axles, but then you just might be tempted to load it up to capacity and that wouldn't be good for a 1/2 ton truck. As was stated previously, pulling a weighted trailer is easy - it's stopping that gives the most trouble.

Good luck with your choice and make sure you post pics!

I would never buy another half ton truck

:agree2:##################################################################################################################################################################################################################

Aluminum Trailer Info

so how much is an aluminum landscape trailer cost?

no info on web site.. called company... not too helpful... won't give out prices

by the way... a direct proportional brake controller makes all the difference in the world in braking abilities.

most brake controllers work on inertial... this means your tow vehicles' brakes has to do the initial stopping. before rear brakes will work... this is bad! brake fade will result vs proportional brakes work from the minute you step on the brake pedal and force rear brakes to work the same strength as your front brakes are being used.

I can give you a ballpark price on the trailer because I'm not at work with my prices in front of me. My estimate on the price I have on a 16' x 80" tandem axle aluminum trailer with a ramp is $2,799. The place you called is the manufacturer and they don't sell to the public. They make the best dump trailers as well.
I can guarantee that the aluminum will stand up to steel when it comes to a heavy load bouncing down the road. Like I said, I was skeptical at first. I haul firewood, mulch, gravel, and stone that easily weigh 4000lbs -$5,000lbs and I do go down bumpy roads and in the woods for firewood. The aluminum is tube construction, unlike many cheap steel trailers that are simple angle iron.
Electric brakes come standard on these trailers on one axle. Adding a second brake axle for $90 is a good option. The other brakes that have been mentioned are "surge brakes". I rent a skid steer from time to time that is very heavy and comes with a trailer with surge brakes. I can't stand them because my truck has to do all the braking initially before the trailer brakes come on. They work especially poor when you are going up a hill and braking.

Hope this helps! :cheers:

Add my name to the list of folks advocating for a dual axle, dual brake trailer.:cheers:

I have a 16' (steel construction) landscape trailer with dual axles and a 7500 lb GVW. I pull it with my Chevy C2500 extended cab pickup powered by a 350 Vortec engine.

For me this is an ideal situation. If I'm hauling split firewood or we're picking up a few rounds from a small tree, I'll just throw it in the 8' bed of the truck. I have a roll-up tonneau cover on the bed so my saws and equipment are hidden from prying eyes. If we have a big load of rounds I bring the trailer. It's lower to the ground and has a fold down ramp that makes loading and unloading very easy..especially with big rounds.

So far my record load was 17 18" long oak rounds that varied from 30"-36" in diameter. After the fact I figured out that each one was about 700lbs. and the trailer was WAY overloaded. I'll never do that again.

The other nice thing about my setup is that I can easily haul the '49 Cub or the '53 Super C. The MF202 weighs-in at around 6000lbs with the loader and hoe so it's too heavy (and a little too long) for this trailer.

I've pulled my trailer with a half-ton pickup but the three-quarter ton feels more secure. If I were to change anything I'd add brakes to the second axle on the trailer (although the one axle does a very good job of stopping the trailer and it's load) and have a one-ton or a HD three-quarter ton diesel for towing the rig. For right now (with my needs and wallet) my truck/trailer combination is working very well for me.

Latest posts

Back