Buying a used chainsaw ...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wavefreak

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
So I want a ms660, 395xp (880 or 3120 would work as well) class saw but new is really a bit pricey. So When I find one, what to I need to look for to make sure its not a dog?

Here's a few things I would check when buying a used chainsaw, I'm no expert, but I'm sure other members will share their advice too.

1) Make sure the fuel mix looks and smells OK
2) Make sure the saw appears Generally clean and in good condition
3) I'd make sure that the chain is oiling properly, if not, the chain could be damaged and I'm sure it'd put more stress on components like engine bearings etc too, but a common cause of it not oiling correctly could just be blocked oil channels in the bar.
4) It'd be nice to know a bit of history about the saw and it's use
5) Check to see that the chain is sharp, a poorly sharpened chain will have put more stress on every single part of the saw, and the bar as well, and a sharp chain is a good sign that the saw has been well maintained
6) Also check that the air filter is clean, again, another sign that it has been well maintained.

Just my 2c,
Gab

Pull the muffler and look for scoring on the piston.

Also, ask if you can cut a log with it to see how it runs.

those are good things to do and should be done. and although they CAN give an indication of the maintenance a saw has received, they can also be quickly fixed and lead to a wrong impression of a saw.

when i am buying a "running" saw in person i do the following in addition to looking at the fuel, filter and cleanliness:

-pull the muffler and look at the condition of the piston andcylinder.
-do a compression check.
-check to see how easily the saw starts from both a cold and warm condition.
-listen to see that the saw has an even idle.
-tip the saw from side to side while it is running and listen for changes in idle.
-rev the saw and listen for the four stroke to make sure it has been being run in a correct state of tune.
-tip the saw from side to side while it is running as higher revs to see if the saw stumbles.
-if the idle rpm is correct, does the chain spin?
-look at the bar for indications that it has been run hard without proper oiling. a little bluing is no big deal, but if the whole bar looks blued it would definitely raise a caution flag to me.

Don't buy a big saw on E-bay unless you plan on fixing one. Most of the big saws on the bay are clapped out reguardless of how they look.

Take a few things with you: Compression tester, scrench, fuel mix, and all of the tools needed to remove the muffler.

First up, Pick up the saw by the starter handle, and see if it has decent compression. Search "drop test" on here for more info.
Second, pull muffler and see if the piston is scored.
Third, remove air filter and see if there is any sawdust or foreign material inside the filter or carb throat.

If either of the last two is encountered, the saw is probably going to need some work.

I usually do the compression test on a saw I am buying after running it. If I am selling it, I do the compression test before running it.

At some point you need to pull the clutch cover, and try to wobble the output end of the crankshaft. If it has noticable play back and forth in it, you'll be into a fairly expensive repair. Usually the clutch side bearing goes first, so you can take a chance that the flywheel side one is OK without pulling the recoil starter. If the chain is banjo-string tight, pay careful attention to this area. While you are inside the bar cover, check the oiler cavity, and the oiler holes in the bar. If the saw is being advertised as "oiler not working" you need to be careful not to fix it, lest the price go up, but check to see what is going on with the oiler system anyway.

If the saw is suposed to be a runner, I have the owner start it for me, and note what they do. "Snatching" at the cord = needs new pawls and starter spool. If it is suposed to be a runner, and there is convienently no gas in it, I just happen to have brought some with me...... I always dump out P.O. gas as soon as I get home anyway. (Briggs 4-stroke engines love garbage gas.) Now run it, and see how she runs and oils. If all is well, make offer and go from there.

Take a few things with you: Compression tester, scrench, fuel mix, and all of the tools needed to remove the muffler

They are all good ideas, I will check my chainsaw for scoring on the side of the piston too. This is probably a dumb question, but I'm not entirely sure what a "scrench" is, I think it is the wrench used to undo the sprocket cover, spark plug, and has a screwdriver on the end, but I'm not sure, if so, I normally call it a bar wrench.

Cheers, Gab

Good advice, all.

I suppose that if someone won't let me examine the saw that closely I should decline and walk away.

Just bring a good size piece of wood to cut. You will know in 2 seconds if the saw is whipped. Look the saw over for any modifications from factory including mufflers, dogs, handlebars and chainbars. If you find one, don’t even bother to start it, just walk away.

Modern used two stroke equipment is always a gamble. I will seldom pay more than salvage value for any used two stroke in any condition. If it turns out to be frenchtoast, just pop it up onto ebay and you are out nothing more than your time. When you buy new, you do pay more but you get a warrantee and the knowledge that you know exactly where and what has happen to this piece of equipment.

When you rely on equipment to make you money, new is often much more cost effective in the long run. If you are a hobby cutter or you just want to learn to do the two stroke twiddle, equipment downtime may not trump price. Collectors of dinosaurs and their bleached bones fall way beyond my radar scope. If you are after a relic, you are on your own. Good luck and use some common sense. If something just don’t feel right, bail! Plenty more saws out in that ocean.

Personally if I were the seller I'd be hard pressed to let some yahoo show up and start tearing my saw apart. I'd have no problem with running it or doing a compression check.

Personally if I were the seller I'd be hard pressed to let some yahoo show up and start tearing my saw apart. I'd have no problem with running it or doing a compression check.

Yeah. I thought telling some guy I wanted to take parts off might be looked at a bit strange. But if I asked you do it would you? Surely you trust yourself.

Yeah. I thought telling some guy I wanted to take parts off might be looked at a bit strange. But if I asked you do it would you? Surely you trust yourself.

Depends on the saw. On the used saws I sell, I list the vac/pressure/compression, give the buyer 10 days, etc.

If he's buying a saw I have $200 into for $250, sorry, I'm not spending the time. Picking up a $500 saw that I have $150 into, sure. I'd have to add, if I needed to get rid of the saw, didn't know that much about it and the only way the buyer was giving me close to what I wanted was to let him "check it out"...most likely.

Fortunately, I'm not in that position.

Depends on the saw. On the used saws I sell, I list the vac/pressure/compression, give the buyer 10 days, etc.

If he's buying a saw I have $200 into for $250, sorry, I'm not spending the time. Picking up a $500 saw that I have $150 into, sure. I'd have to add, if I needed to get rid of the saw, didn't know that much about it and the only way the buyer was giving me close to what I wanted was to let him "check it out"...most likely.

Fortunately, I'm not in that position.

You probably aren't typical. If you gave me 10 days, I wouldn't feel half has much pressure to decide right then. I've basically decided I won't buy anything on eBay or Craig's list unless it close enough where I can go see it. I'm willing to by a used saw from a dealer. We have an Elite Stihl dealer close by. Does that Elite mean anything or is it just fancy marketing?

You probably aren't typical. If you gave me 10 days, I wouldn't feel half has much pressure to decide right then. I've basically decided I won't buy anything on eBay or Craig's list unless it close enough where I can go see it. I'm willing to by a used saw from a dealer. We have an Elite Stihl dealer close by. Does that Elite mean anything or is it just fancy marketing?

Has meaning to the customer and dealer.

You have to hit a set dollar amount per year. Carry the full line of equipment. Stock a min. of Parts. Sell a set percentage of Stihl bar/chain/oils/etc.

For the customer that means a dealership that should have what you are looking for. More importantly, that dealership is required to have a Gold Certified Mech. on staff.

There are also additional discounts given, etc. But those are the high points.

I give the customer 10 days warranty on the saw (personal sales). Company we handle a little differently, but we've never had a customer have a saw failure that should have been taken care of before hand, that wasn't just fixed.

I guess I'm conflicted about new or used. If It wasn't a budget issue I have to wonder. A 2 year warranty on a new saw is no small thing. If I get a used one, it's going to need service. One major service in two years and any savings could be shot as I currently don't do that work myself. If it take proper care of a new saw, it should last me many years. And so far, I haven't seen too many low hours 660's that would save me a ton of money.

FWIW, I need this to use with a 36" Granberg Alaskan. Weekend warrior, not full time pro.

Most 394s and 395s that I see on the bay or CL have been WORKED. Very seldom do I see one here in the northeast advertised near new. And if they are near new, the price tag usually reflects it. Same thing for 660s and 066s. Saws of that class seem to get bought more by pros and less by weekend saw enthusiasts, and when pros buy saws, they buy them to use them.

You do see a fair amount of 3120s for fairly decent prices. There's one on CL up by Hartford for $800 in good shape. Still a lot of money, but for a saw that is a minimum of $1400 OTD of a dealer on a good day, pretty decent deal. I'd forget about an 880. I've seen so few and they have been $$$$$

Maybe I've just been lucky but I think the seller themselves can tell you a lot, even in what they don't say. I've done a large number of CL transactions (mostly not saws) and it's not too hard to catch someone in a lie or embellishment. Ask the same question again and again in different ways, for example. If the saw looks clean, and hasn't been toasted, it's probably a pretty decent saw. A test cut confirms this. You're always taking a chance buying used, but you can reduce your risk of getting ripped. Eliminate it? I don't think so...

I might know a customer who's about to unload 2-4 660's. All have new P/C's, seals, rebuilt carbs, etc.

I suspect he'll be selling them in the 500 range. Send me a PM and if he does put them up for sale, I"ll get you his contact information.

Back