Buying New Husky353 what size bar 18" or 20"?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tenacrewoods

tenacrewoods

ArboristSite Operative
I think of buying the 353 w/18" farm tough bar it's $344.00 but I can pay
$6 more and git it with 20" Oregon pro bar. Both come w/95vp chain,plus
2 extra chains (3 in all) even though I won't be cutting big stuff very often,
there are some 40" are so pines on my place.Wife says that all guys think
about is size and if I get 18" I'll only want 2 more later on. :laugh:
What would you guys buy?

Thanks!
Mike

DanManofStihl

DanManofStihl

ArboristSite Guru
With a 353 I would stick with the 18 in bar a 53 cc saw in my book seems alttle underpowered for a 20 inch bar but I could be wrong. I had a husky 359 and it did pretty well with a 20 in bar I would stick with the 18 in personally. I think it would perform better.

Max

ArboristSite Operative
Just my opinion but the 18" would be good.
I run an 18" on my 357xp most of the time.
If I need a bigger bar I swap it for the 20" or borrow my brothers ms440.
Again just my opinion, but I would run a 16" 95vp on a 353.

asb151

asb151

ArboristSite Guru
The 353 is a great saw. The cost and weight hit for the 20 inch bar is negligible. However, the more practical set up is the 18 or even a 16 inch bar. If you decide to go with the 20 don't expect it to be very fast in larger wood. It will get through. It will just take a while.

TimberPig

TimberPig

ArboristSite Guru
I'll add another for the 18", as was said 20" is pushing the limits of the saw a bit, even in soft wood. Yes it will work with a 20", but the cutting will be slower and the load on the engine will be greater. If you have occasion to tackle those 40" pine trees, then you have a reason to borrow (or buy) a bigger saw that can better handle a longer bar.

asb151

asb151

ArboristSite Guru
DanMan1 said:
So how fast would it be with an 18" bar, How fast With a 16" bar. Slow with a 20" I see but what is the real difference.

Has anyone done any real data comparisons using a given saw with different bar lengths? What are the results?

Some people make it sound like you will be falling asleep waiting for a cut beacuse your bar is 2" longer. I for one, doubt it, but if anyone has some test data It would be great to see. :)

If anyone actually has data for a model 353 with a 16, 18, and 20 inch bar...........then they need to find something better to do with their time :)

The difference is subjective. A 20 is probably a little too big for that saw. A 18 or a 16 is more suited to its power output.

Blowdown1

Blowdown1

ArboristSite Operative
I have a 359 that came w/ the 20" FT bar. I was not too impressed w/ the rails at the nose starting to spread, though I may have contributed to it w/ poor technique at times?

But I also just put a 16" on it for limbing. So if you are not gonna be in bigger wood much I'd go ahead and get the shorter bar. You can always get a 20" for the few times down the road that you need it.

SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector
tenacrewoods said:
Thanks for all the quick replies!
I Think if I buy the saw it'll be with an 18" bar and 16" for a spare.
Alway great advice here! Mike E.
As several others have said, the 20" (and even the 18") is a bit long on any 3 cube saw. Not that it will not pull it through the wood, but the saw will be a bit slower than it could be even when the bar is not buried.
I suggest that you settle on the 16" for ordinary use, and keep a 20" for those special occations when you really need it. :angel:

Latest posts