Buying new saw on eBay

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've pretty much decided on an Echo CS-590, but open to others if you have suggestions. Any opinions on pricing or red flags with this listing? I'm wondering how someone has four new "open box" saws. I did read through parts of the box thread....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2348707085...u9EMyX6Id6GnKa5FJ4l0VWDQg=|tkp:Bk9SR6a5oMrAYQ
By the time you add up tax and eBay fees you can find one more local to you for about the same price.
that saw goes on sale all the time around here for well under $400.

OK, thanks for the replies. I wondered about warranty. I can buy one locally for $420. I was thinking of making an offer on the eBay one but sounds like I'm better off paying the extra $75 or so.

Any other saws to consider? My MS310 is acting up. It's been a pretty good unit with a 16" bar but a bit underpowered for anything longer.

I've pretty much decided on an Echo CS-590, but open to others if you have suggestions. Any opinions on pricing or red flags with this listing? I'm wondering how someone has four new "open box" saws. I did read through parts of the box thread....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2348707085...u9EMyX6Id6GnKa5FJ4l0VWDQg=|tkp:Bk9SR6a5oMrAYQ
Looks like a return to a big box store. I'd suggest going to an actual chainsaw shop. They probably sell more than one brand, look around and handle different saws. Talk to the dealer. They want return customers and provide service. If you buy they'll fuel it up a run it. Any issues they'll handle them. Worth far more than a guess off eBay.

If you have any Shindaiwa dealers the 591 is basically the same saw in red. Agree with everyone above on this Echo deal. These saws have come up in price a bit. Haven't seen any new ones under $400 in awhile.

Seems like a bit of fear mongering going on here. I've got a 590 and a 600 off ebay for just over $200 (each). Neither were running, but about $10 later in parts they were, so it depends on your tolerance and skill level in doing repairs.

If you want a no-hassle running out of the box with warranty, don't look on ebay. What you posted looks really nice, so if you don't care about warranty, ask them what the deal is. e.g. is it a return as others have suggested, does it run, pull over, etc.
It states open box and a 30 day return so... if I were looking for new-ish, I'd jump on that for that price, but I'm also content rebuilding the whole thing if I need to at some point. For the price in the posting I'd expect it to run and not have a melted piston.

All that said, they're great saws for what they are (part way between homeowner and pro?). Surprising power, muffler mod helps. The 600 I got (effectively the same as the 590) went full 24" bar with the depth gauges pretty much filed off (how I got it) and pulled it with minimal complaint. That's pretty impressive for a 60cc saw. Either that or my filing skills are better than I thought :D

The one thing I’ve noticed about a lot of these echos (including the 590) is that if you’re not careful, when you’re tightening down the clutch cover and haven’t lined up the chain tensioner correctly, you’ll pop that out and no longer have the ability to tension the bar/chain. Granted, it’s usually guys that haven’t had a lot of experience using saws, but it’s also a hefty price to pay when you have to replace the clutch cover.

Anyone else observe/experience this? I’ve seen it with some of the older Huskies, too, but not as frequently as the echos. IIRC, the replacement covers run at lest $35 apiece…and I don’t think there’s an aftermarket option yet.

Seems like a bit of fear mongering going on here. I've got a 590 and a 600 off ebay for just over $200 (each). Neither were running, but about $10 later in parts they were, so it depends on your tolerance and skill level in doing repairs.

If you want a no-hassle running out of the box with warranty, don't look on ebay. What you posted looks really nice, so if you don't care about warranty, ask them what the deal is. e.g. is it a return as others have suggested, does it run, pull over, etc.
It states open box and a 30 day return so... if I were looking for new-ish, I'd jump on that for that price, but I'm also content rebuilding the whole thing if I need to at some point. For the price in the posting I'd expect it to run and not have a melted piston.

All that said, they're great saws for what they are (part way between homeowner and pro?). Surprising power, muffler mod helps. The 600 I got (effectively the same as the 590) went full 24" bar with the depth gauges pretty much filed off (how I got it) and pulled it with minimal complaint. That's pretty impressive for a 60cc saw. Either that or my filing skills are better than I thought :D
How were the saws that you purchased listed - open box, pre-owned, for parts?

24" in green pine or long dead hard wood?

There have been references to a 5 year warranty from Echo on this site, but I couldn't see anything on the Echo website related to warranty, ditto with listings from retailers (local and eBay). For as good as the product reputation seems to be, the Echo website is pretty weak. First thing I wanted to know was chain pitch and gauge, as I have a gob of new 3/8 chains on hand. Nothing on their website beyond length of the bar. Messaged a dealer and was told they didn't know, even though they had saws in stock.

How were the saws that you purchased listed - open box, pre-owned, for parts?

24" in green pine or long dead hard wood?

There have been references to a 5 year warranty from Echo on this site, but I couldn't see anything on the Echo website related to warranty, ditto with listings from retailers (local and eBay). For as good as the product reputation seems to be, the Echo website is pretty weak. First thing I wanted to know was chain pitch and gauge, as I have a gob of new 3/8 chains on hand. Nothing on their website beyond length of the bar. Messaged a dealer and was told they didn't know, even though they had saws in stock.

They were definitely not open box, they were used and sold as such/not running. I went back and looked and the 590 was ~$210 and the 600 was ~$220 (shipped)

24" (no depth gauages) in about 6mo+ down black cherry

GusGus2020 rang a bell for me, that 600 did need a new tensioner from the previous owner misaligning it and then cranking on it and grinding down the bevel gears

They run 3/8 .050, D176 mount. If a dealer can't tell you that, I'd avoid that dealer. Can also look that up on Oregon's site.
https://www.oregonproducts.com/en/part-finder

Per the manual from the website (for the CS-590):
  • Sprocket Type Spur type, 7-tooth, 3/8 in. pitch
  • Guide Bar 20 in., (optional 16, 18, 24, 27 in.)
  • Saw Chain OREGON chain 72LPX (3/8 in. pitch)
Also from the website (picked a 620 randomly)

Warranty 5 year consumer / 1 year commercial

Those eBay saws look like big box returns (possibly Homedepot based on the label). I've bought some of those type of items and they are usually brand new or missing something small. If it is "not as described" eBay does protect buyers well. Or sellers will cover the cost of the missing item.

I think the price is too high on the one you linked. Need more discount for unknown risk / no warranty.

I don't know exactly the source but I am guessing returns that have ANY reason preventing them from going back on the shelf as new just get auctioned off in lots and these sellers scoop them up and then pick through it.
Many times the actual item is fine, again based on my limited experience.

But, plan on likely not having a warranty. For me, like @vizette , that is fine. Especially a NIB Echo, it's Japanese...

If you aren't all in on diagnosing and fixing either now or in the future I'd say go with a new saw that has a warranty.
For example it may need a carb adjustment or it may never have even been started.

Here’s my take on your question. I’ve bought a few saws on eBay, but I know I’m buying turds that are less than $50 shipped and I’m gonna have a big project ahead of me. I like it that way. If they show up with “hidden treasures” (extra problems), I’m cool with that. I want to have to combine parts saws together like a puzzle to make one that runs like a shaved ape. Apparently I like pain. Lol! I also own a brand-new Stihl saw that was purchased from a dealer with a warranty that I know will do what I want it to, when I want it to. The cheap stuff is just for fun. If I were looking at buying a CS-590 from eBay, that bad boy would have to be no more than $100. It would be a project though, and I would expect stuff to be broken or missing.

Latest posts

Back