Bypass Lopper

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjorn773

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am looking for a lopper for my wife. She cuts alot of invasives on our land... honysuckle and buckthorn. Her Fiskars powergear is wearing out and I can't find replacement blades. Looking at reviews online I ran across A.M.Leonard as highly recommended. Can anyone offer n opinion on these ir recommendation for another brand?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Free is always a good thing. :rock2:

Just about a month or so ago, I bought a pair of Corona by-pass loppers from Home Depot. Haven't used them as of yet, but they feel great, and look to be well made.

corona-loppers-sl-3264-64_1000.jpg

Morning SS, what method do you use to sharpen?:cool:
I have used regular knife sharpeners to hit them if they are not too bad, most of the time I use a flat bastard file. just have to keep the angle the same and always knock the roll over on the flat side off. I use a file on hoes and shovels the same way.

I have used regular knife sharpeners to hit them if they are not too bad, most of the time I use a flat bastard file. just have to keep the angle the same and always knock the roll over on the flat side off. I use a file on hoes and shovels the same way.
Lol, he said flat bastard! All kidding aside, you ever use a stone?:cool:

Dam. I got big and bigger loppers but I’m buying a pair of those.

Doing trail maintenance it would be nice to have a small pack able pair when carrying a saw.
They're really compact and work well. well made too. I got em on sale somewhere and have not been disappointed. they have cut many a limb clearing out shooting lanes and four wheeler trails.

They're really compact and work well. well made too. I got em on sale somewhere and have not been disappointed. they have cut many a limb clearing out shooting lanes and four wheeler trails.
I am sort of a snob about loppers. Was in charge of 7000 fruit trees a while back. The Jamaicans showed me what worked best. Fiskar and Corona make two levels of loppers.

A good pro pair will run $120-140.....but a total waste of money unless you use them 9 hours a day for four months year after year. Like chainsaws and accuracy in guns.......most over buy. There are more 1/2” guns than 1/2” shooters

The whole want/need thing. And I’m very guilty.

Just keep them sharp. I use a half round file and an India stone I put a radius on with a belt sander.

Went out and braved the elements, 20 degrees with snow and wind blowin hard. if the pic is blurry I was shivering.lol. but you can get an idea how big it is folded and I carry it in that box on the wheeler.

View attachment 626038
55 and cloudy with a chance of showers here, perfect working weather! Thanks for the pics, now get back inside.:cool:

I am sort of a snob about loppers. Was in charge of 7000 fruit trees a while back. The Jamaicans showed me what worked best. Fiskar and Corona make two levels of loppers.

A good pro pair will run $120-140.....but a total waste of money unless you use them 9 hours a day for four months year after year. Like chainsaws and accuracy in guns.......most over buy. There are more 1/2” guns than 1/2” shooters

The whole want/need thing. And I’m very guilty.

Just keep them sharp. I use a half round file and an India stone I put a radius on with a belt sander.

I buy the best that I can afford. More times than not, I'm not disappointed.

I've been sharpening it but the blade doesn't sit flat against the flat backer anymore. I imagine this is from try to cut too large diameter wood. I have since given her a bow saw to use as well. Maybe a folding saw is in order.

I've been sharpening it but the blade doesn't sit flat against the flat backer anymore. I imagine this is from try to cut too large diameter wood. I have since given her a bow saw to use as well. Maybe a folding saw is in order.

Take them apart and tweak the anvil or blade a little.

They will bend........they did once already. Lol

Latest posts

Back