CAD bit hard and an 880 followed me home

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Farmall Guy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Well I finally quit debating on what model saw to buy today. I've been going back and forth between a new 660 and an 880... the 880 won :chainsaw:

StihlSaws003.jpg

I stopped in to the saw shop that I have always dealt with, I never thougth they would have one in stock. When I walked in on the bottom shelf, next to a new 660 sat the top dog. The owner said he used to stock them but stopped a few years ago due to slow sales in that class. He only had this saw because another customer had ordered it, then got hurt and couldn't buy it. I got a 41" bar, he threw in a 30" bar and a spare chain for the 41. I bought a second chain for the 30. All in all the price ended up being a lot less than I though it was going to be.

Sorry I didn't get any pics of it in action, I'll try to get some tomorrow. When I got home I ran a tank of fuel through it cutting some decent size oak. All I can say is WOW. This saw is absolutely amazing, as everyone here says she's heavy but that doesn't bother me since I'm not packing it all over creation and running it all day every day. It wont ever be my go to saw for small stuff, but when I have a bigger tree to block up I'll get to have some fun :chainsaw: My 066 was getting the job done with no problems but I could feel a considerable difference in power with the 30" bar buried vs the 066 with the 28" buried in the same tree. I cant wait to get to the butt log on this oak, its about 40" give or take so I'll put the 41" bar on and really see what she's made of :cheers:

StihlSaws007.jpg

Here's my 3 saw plan, 046 w20" bar 066 mag w 28" bar and the top dog MS880 with both a 30" and a 41" bar

If this doesn't satisfy my CAD I don't know what will, but the sound of this saw is just amazing. My 19 year old brother claims it sounds like a dirt bike :chainsaw: :chainsaw: :chainsaw:

Hope yall enjoy the pics, more to come tomorrow

Well I finally quit debating on what model saw to buy today. I've been going back and forth between a new 660 and an 880... the 880 won :chainsaw:

StihlSaws003.jpg

I stopped in to the saw shop that I have always dealt with, I never thougth they would have one in stock. When I walked in on the bottom shelf, next to a new 660 sat the top dog. The owner said he used to stock them but stopped a few years ago due to slow sales in that class. He only had this saw because another customer had ordered it, then got hurt and couldn't buy it. I got a 41" bar, he threw in a 30" bar and a spare chain for the 41. I bought a second chain for the 30. All in all the price ended up being a lot less than I though it was going to be.

Sorry I didn't get any pics of it in action, I'll try to get some tomorrow. When I got home I ran a tank of fuel through it cutting some decent size oak. All I can say is WOW. This saw is absolutely amazing, as everyone here says she's heavy but that doesn't bother me since I'm not packing it all over creation and running it all day every day. It wont ever be my go to saw for small stuff, but when I have a bigger tree to block up I'll get to have some fun :chainsaw: My 066 was getting the job done with no problems but I could feel a considerable difference in power with the 30" bar buried vs the 066 with the 28" buried in the same tree. I cant wait to get to the butt log on this oak, its about 40" give or take so I'll put the 41" bar on and really see what she's made of :cheers:

StihlSaws007.jpg

Here's my 3 saw plan, 046 w20" bar 066 mag w 28" bar and the top dog MS880 with both a 30" and a 41" bar

If this doesn't satisfy my CAD I don't know what will, but the sound of this saw is just amazing. My 19 year old brother claims it sounds like a dirt bike :chainsaw: :chainsaw: :chainsaw:

Hope yall enjoy the pics, more to come tomorrow

Wow that pic really shows the size of the beast. My uncle used to run a 3120...that thing was a pig as well. Now you will probably want to do some milling. I would hope CAD ends with the 880. WDO

having the 066 already I figured now would be the time to get the 880. I'll be getting into my own house this fall so this is probably my last big toy purchase for a while, might as well go all the way right.

The other driving factor in my going with the 880 over the 660 is the up coming 2010 changes. I'm sure there will be a 120+cc stihl but I dont like the idea of buying a new model until its been out for a few years and has all the bugs worked out, by then I may not have the money to buy one so best to strike while the iron's hot as my grandmother says.

StihlSaws006.jpg

this pic really shows the size differance between the 3 saws.

Once I have 10-15 tanks of fuel through it I may try a little milling but I want to make sure its broken in well before putting it on a mill. I'll also richen up the carb if I put it on a mill too. I have plans to use the 41" bar to cut large rounds 5-8" thick and turning them into coffee tables to sell. The 41" bar will allow me to get a clean cut and will go a long way toward making the finishing process easier.

JohnDeere440051.jpg

I cut this table 40" off an oak stump with my 046, (when I was on the 1 saw plan) then because my cuts didnt match up real well I used a 2 man cross cut saw and took an inch off the top so I could finish it :jawdrop: To much work to sell them using that method but with an 880 :chainsaw:

Out the door with tax, 6 pack of stihl ultra and a gallon of bar oil was just shy of 1800. I was planning on spending 2000-2200 so I was pleasently supprised, still alot of money but ya only live once right

holy cow thats a chunk of change. i got a 066 and i thought it was a big bodied saw. it looks tiny compared to the 880. how many cc's is it and whats the hp rated at?

I thought the same thing about the 066 until today, after running a tank of fuel through the 880 I picked up the 066 to clean it up and install the outside dog and it felt like my 046 :) After running the 880 for a while I'll probly be able to cut with the 066 all day if need be and feel like I've been running a small saw :dizzy:

If I remember correctly the 880 is 121.6cc and 8.6 hp those numbers may be off just a little but they stick out in my mind and are close if not exact.

I'm running .404 RSC full comp, probably should have gotten skip chain for the 41" bar at least, but I didnt specify skip when the dealer asked he only asked if I wanted RSC or RMC, I didnt think to ask for skip chain. I'm pretty sure its got power to pull the full comp but I'll have to get used to keeping the chips moving in the cut, I did wad some chips into the tip of the 30" bar today so theres a learing curve going on here.

All the other saws I've ran didnt move the chips like this one dose, they dumped them out the bottom of the clutch cover. This saw burries my feet and the excess is pushing out the front of the clutch cover as the chain drags them around, she can really throw a rooster tail when its pointed the right way :givebeer:

Congrats!!!

Wow!! That makes the 066 look small!!!!

Tis the season for new Chainsaws. Or maybe it's always like this here on AS! Seems like every time I get on this site there are 10 new 361's and 3 or 4 new 460's and 660's...now even a new 880! You ain't messing around are ya?! This site must cause CAD inducing trauma that is momentarily remedied only buy purchasing more saws.

great saw hope you enjoy runnning it and you got a realy good deal

Tis the season for new Chainsaws. Or maybe it's always like this here on AS! Seems like every time I get on this site there are 10 new 361's and 3 or 4 new 460's and 660's...now even a new 880! You ain't messing around are ya?! This site must cause CAD inducing trauma that is momentarily remedied only buy purchasing more saws.

Nope I guess I went off the deep end here, but I'm treading water with a big smile :clap:

This site must be the cause of CAD, before I found AS I had 1 saw, my 046 and thought that was the saw of saws. After AS... well you get the idea. Hopefully this will cure me for a good long time, up until now the little voice i my head has been saying "bigger saw, bigger saw". Now its saying "must find big trees for big saw :greenchainsaw: "

For the record though if a good 090 comes along at a killer price.... oh no here we go again. I still kick myself for not buying the 090 that one of my former co-workers tried to sell me for 100 bucks 4 years ago. Unfortunatly I didnt have the money and didnt relize just what an opertunity that deal was, later that year his son sold it at a yard sale for 50 bucks :cry:

Wow!!!

090 for 50 bucks??? Seen em on flea bay for around 1200.00 ....Would love to have one for milling,,,but then again it would have to be a pretty damn big tree to me to spend that much for one....

090 for 50 bucks??? Seen em on flea bay for around 1200.00 ....Would love to have one for milling,,,but then again it would have to be a pretty damn big tree to me to spend that much for one....

I know makes me want to cry just thinking about it, he claimed it ran good to boot. I just didnt know what one was worth at that point in my life... then again that may have cured my CAD before it even started because I may not have stumbled on to AS looking for info on a bigger saw. Now the rest is history as they say.

JohnDeere440051.jpg

I cut this table 40" off an oak stump with my 046, (when I was on the 1 saw plan) then because my cuts didnt match up real well I used a 2 man cross cut saw and took an inch off the top so I could finish it :jawdrop: To much work to sell them using that method but with an 880 :chainsaw:[/QUOTE]

Nice table Farmall Guy! How much does that bugger weigh? That's an excellent trio of saws you have.

Thanks for all the comments, I'll try to get some action pics today.

I've never weighed that table, but its about 8" thick oak with hard maple legs and it is all 2 of us can do to lift it and move it. I'm geussing it weighs somewhere around 250-300 poundswith the legs attached. When I built I had to pin the legs with 1" hard maple dowels that I carved out of some limb wood so I can take them off to get it through the door into the house. Once the top is setting on the legs they become quite stable.

Just got in from pulling some logs and cutting up some fire wood. I'm just about ready to switch to the 41" bar to finish this big mother, while the 30 is getting it done all the chuncks look like they'll all fall to 1 side, So instead of climbing over this tree a few dozen times might as well use the big bar and leter rip. I had the 30" bar burried in these rounds, the last 1 I had to nip the back side while standing on the tree to get it to fall. (couldnt stand on the ground because it would have fallen on me. bad planning on my part with that cut but I got it done as safely as I could at that point)

StihlSaws014.jpg

just the other side of this crotch this oak is well over 36", I'm going to bore in leaving a strap on top, then cut down and leave a strap on the bottom. Its in a top bind so I'll trip the bottom strap from below 1st then nip the top until it drops down. If only this tree were solid beyond this point, 3 big logs that would have probably been verneer quality :cry: :cry:

StihlSaws017.jpg

I guess this is a run what ya brung skidding operation, I know probably not the safest way to move these but we went slow and got them out with no problems. We used about 75' of 1/2" cable and a couple snatch blocks to redirect the logs as needed. My neighbor brought his ford backhoe down (along with the cable and snatch blocks) and set up the boom with a snatch block on the bucket. This let us use the boom to get a higher angle on the log to keep the front up while I pulled the cable with my John Deere backhoe.

We managed to get all 6 logs that were in what will become a mud hole in a few days out with out rutting anything up. Then we caried them up the hill 1 at a time with a set of forks on the front bucket to get them safely on higher ground.

StihlSaws021.jpg

I've got 2 more about this size left to pull but they're further up the hill and are safe from getting stuck in the mud so we'll save them for another day.

StihlSaws020.jpg

Got another tank through the 880, bucking the rest of these logs and alot of fire wood up to that crotch after I ran into rot on the last good logs, glad I cut them long and was able to get the bad spot cut out and still leave a foot for trim.

Hope yall enjoy the pics, I know I enjoyed making them posible.

Nice setup, congrats!! Thanks for sharing the pics, when you got some big logs again, dont hesitate posting again. Get that 880 broken in and show us.

Lex

Latest posts

Back