CAD Explained!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmihalek

Where's the wood at?
Reaction score
Sociologists have a special term for Chainsaw Affective Disorder (CAD). The term is relative deprivation. I was driving home listening to talk radio (Jay Severin) when he mentioned this phenomenon.

Here's a cut-n-paste definition from some random website:

relative deprivation

(20TH CENTURY)

A theory of the causes of social and political discontent.

People are roused to action as a result not of absolute changes in their material conditions but of changes relative to the circumstances of those with whom they compare themselves.

Source:
W G Runciman, Relative Deprivation and Social Justice (London, 1966)

It all makes sense now: join AS, "see" that mostly all the members have an excess of chainsaws, ported saws with high compression, 9 tooth sprockets, 10 tooth, etc. and soon the little saw sitting in the garage (even though it's a trusty performer and served you well for years) starts to look lame by comparison.

So, there's no change in your material condition (you still have the same trustworthy Farm Boss or Rancher that you always had) but relative to the other AS gang with 8, 10 or 32 saws, you're way behind the curve.

Now that I've figured this out, I need to get my friend to sell me his EHP 880!!

What about the theory that guys consistantly buy bigger & faster toys (chainsaws for the purpose of this discussion) in an effort to compensate for perceived :censored: defenciency?

Should be Chainsaw Addiction Disorder.

I would have been fine with just one saw for my needs and I have three and hope it doesn't hit me again. I feel like a little kid when I run one, of course I probably wouldn't if I did it for a living.

I've only got 2 saws. I like to trade around a lot on them until I find something I really like. I do like ported saws so I can have a smaller saw to do the work of a bigger one.

I sold a saw today!!
Felt good!!
I will sell a saw tommorow!!!
Am not apprehensive!!!
Am I ok!!!!
Got about 20 left!!
Got a 090 boxed to sell!!!
Doesn't fell bad!!
Got the JO-BU cleaned and has had its photo op to sell!!!
I think I got CAD beat!!!

I just HAD to have it! It followed me home. It looked so sad all alone, now it has a family. One more won't hurt. I needed a powerhead for this extra bar and chain I have. The shelf wasn't full. It matches my PPE. They said it is going to be discontinued.
What ever we tell yourselves at the end of the day to make it right.:clap:

I sold a saw today!!
Felt good!!
I will sell a saw tommorow!!!
Am not apprehensive!!!
Am I ok!!!!
Got about 20 left!!
Got a 090 boxed to sell!!!
Doesn't fell bad!!
Got the JO-BU cleaned and has had its photo op to sell!!!
I think I got CAD beat!!!

Once you make room by thinning the heard a great deal will come your way and then CAD will be satisfied. I do kind of wounder about the 090, that is the mountain top of saws for most people. I think CAD has clouded your judgment, or you are getting enough for it to buy a better one.

Latest posts

Back