Caddy install...Prevent main blower cool down of heated air?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whankin2

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello all (I posted about this in Heart as well). Again, I am getting ready to install my new 1950 (Caddy), and had another install question before I do. Last year, after screwing around w/ a Daka before selling it, I gave up on trying to solve my problem. Arrangement was that with the Daka, the small fan inside the wood furnace served to move the wood furnace heat output into the plenum of the main furnace(gas). When the main plenum heated up, the main furnace (gas) blower kicked on to supposedly distribute the heat t/o the house.

Problem is that the big gas blower really just cooled down the heated plenum air to such a point that basically only cool-lukewarm air came out my vents. It drove me crazy, & I want to get it right with this caddy, so any advice from laynes69 or any other install experts would be greatly appreciated. Is there some way of preventing this? BTW, my setup will be parallel, not series, and my 1950 comes with the fan inside the wood furnace.

i dont have a caddy but doesnt it have a 3 speed blower,i think i read the highest setting is near 1400 cfm and i imagine the highest setting would surely be twice that of the old daka but yet still much less than a forced air blower becuase ive seen some of the oil /propane fired ones are as big as 3,000 CFM im sure once installed you could find a happy medium blower setting for your ducting and size requirements

I posted over there also, but I am running my blower on high. It pushes nice warm to hot air from the registers once up and running. I get better flow than with my gas furnace. Your duct setup has everything to do with it. In mild weather you can build small hot fires and use a lower setup. When winter comes around and the furnace is operating like it should, a high speed should be okay. You need a backdraft damper depending on how your install is. With a parallel setup, both units can operate independently without disturbing one or another.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back