Cadillac Outdoor Wood Burner

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cadillac

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I bought and self installed a Cadillac OWB model #5600 and am successfully heating a 5800 sf home in southern WI as well as my outside shop building of 2000 sf. Installation was a breeze (don't ask a plumber or HVAC guy to do this because they will spend you broke!) The unit was $7600, bought 250 ft of pex for $750 and dug the trench and installed it myself. Did all of the inside plumbing including the tubular heat exchanger on the outside of the water heater. Man this thing is great! I'm calculating a less than 3 year payback.

I am just starting to look into these for next years house build. Does the cadillac have 2 outlets or just one? I want to heat the house and the shop seperately

Alec

Info

The Cadillac can be used for either 1 or two channels of heating. Meaning, it has 4 ports on the back so you can heat two different buildings with an outgoing and incoming line......but if you only want to use 1 set you can easily put a plug on the other two ports. You could also install valves on the other two ports and just close them. Either way it's no problem and very easy.

If you run two channels, you just put a good pump indoors on each line set so the water is circulating fully thru both loops. The smart set up has the water at 180 degrees and circulating 100% of the time. The only thing your thermostat is doing is turning the blower on and off.

Last edited:
I bought and self installed a Cadillac OWB model #5600 and am successfully heating a 5800 sf home in southern WI as well as my outside shop building of 2000 sf. Installation was a breeze (don't ask a plumber or HVAC guy to do this because they will spend you broke!) The unit was $7600, bought 250 ft of pex for $750 and dug the trench and installed it myself. Did all of the inside plumbing including the tubular heat exchanger on the outside of the water heater. Man this thing is great! I'm calculating a less than 3 year payback.

how deep pipe bury?? and your right about heat or plumbers..the one in this town,,wants to be a millionaire before hes 50...................buys parts at menards,,and doubles the price.....hardware store next town over,,did the same thing...

Depth

Well....there are many answers to this question. The answers range from best to worst. The are somewhat based upon affordability. I literally have the full range of installations within 1 mile of my house. The bottom line unarguable best installation has the insulated pex line buried below the frost line which is approximately 48". This ensures the least amount of heat loss from the lines and in the unlikely event of a unit shut down due to a leak or a pump going out.....or something like that, having a full depth installation will allow the water in the lines to sit longer during the repair and not worry about it freezing. Having this deep installation also allows the possibility of installing other lines or cables over the pipe for another purpose which may come along later. And of course don't forget the cardinal sin of forgetting to lay some romex electrical line in the trench along with the pex.

I have people who have happily installed at 24" and even 12" depths. Heck I even have 1 guy who laid the pex on the top of the ground for the first winter because he decided to install a unit in the middle of winter while the ground was frozen.

The bottom line is that if you have the trencher available...go for a full depth installation. Just be sure you intimately know where you are digging and that everything buried in the area has been triple checked and marked clearly. If your within 10 feet of any structure, dig by hand to be safe. When I start getting closer to the structures I bring my depth up to 18" - 24" just to make things easier. Also you need to come up to that depth anyway to get lined up with where you are going to punch through the foundation.

Cadillac Detailed info

Northern Steel Manufacturing LLC

Cadillac Outdoor Wood Furnaces

Northern Steel Manufacturing LLC, based in the heartland of Wisconsin, presents our line of outdoor wood burning stoves with our Cadillac stoves. We have been designing stoves for over a decade. We work directly with the stove market, getting right down to the real users’ needs, wants, and demands. Northern Steel manufacturing LLC is committed to bringing to the market not only the highest quality and most durable stove, bet we are continually creating, improving and introducing features and innovations that provide reliability, usability, and convenience, along with the greatest efficiency possible. Every one of our stoves is identified by a serial number, is manufactured utilizing industry surpassing robotic technology, water and air tested, finished and inspected by the most dedicated, experienced craftsman in the industry. Northern Steel Manufacturing LLC backs each and every stove with a limited 20 years warranty. Our skilled employees are the backbone of our company, leading to our success. They are ready to not only meet your needs, but exceed your expectations.

WOOD FURNACE FEATURES

Tool Caddy – Conveniently attached to the adjustable arm of the dusk-to-dawn light. Holds the rake and shovel provided with each furnace.
Class A Stainless Steel Chimney – This level of quality on the Cadillac.

Extra large Fuel Door – 24” x 36” door allowing for the extra large wood and easy loading.

Extra Large Ash Door – 5” x 12” clean out door allows for fast and easy ash removal.

Water Filled Heat Exchanger – This technology provides more surface area allowing 100% heat transfer with less heat escaping out the chimney.

QUALITY

High Grade Steel – All Cadillac outdoor wood burning furnaces are constructed using commercial quality boiler plate exclusive to Cadillac outdoor stoves.
Robotic Seamless Welding – Our Lincoln Arc mate 120il Robotic Welding technology assures unparalleled quality and consistency in the weldment of the inner and out water jacket, door jambs and internal parts.

Precision Fabricated Parts – Our investment in Whitney Plasma cutting technology in their Advantage and 3400 computer controlled 72” x 240” downdraft cutting tables assures precision cut parts and subcomponents.

Powder Coated – Our utilization of today’s powder coat technology creates an unmatched consistency in coverage and clarity in paint application.
R 3 8 Roof Insulation – Our base and side wall foil faced R 1 9 insulation is enhanced with full coverage of the roof with R 3 8 insulation.

INNOVATION
Our innovation features are industry leading, far surpassing any other stove. These include dusk to dawn light, water filled heat exchanger, and extra large lockable fuel door with anti flash back feature. Our class A stainless chimney is standard as is our innovative tool caddy, the friendliest storage system for the rake and shovel on the market. This is the only line of outdoor wood furnaces that knows the consumer. Northern Steel will meet your needs and wants with our Cadillac stove.

TOOL CADDY

Combining innovation with usability, Northern Steel Manufacturing LLC’s tool caddy removes the constant inconvenience other stoves have. This option is available on all of our stoves. Combined with our heavy duty shovel and rake, this feature provides not only more ease in cleaning the stove chamber, it gives the user an easy and safe storage location. No more picking up that muddy or frozen rake & shovel!

DUSK-TO-DAWN LIGHT

Attached to the Tool Caddy, this light attachment provides a better and wider lighted area with the automatic dimming and lighting of the load area.

FURNACE SPECIFICATIONS

MODEL 3600 4800 5600

WEIGHT (LBS) 2500 3000 3500

HEIGHT* 95” 96” 96”

WIDTH* 78” 78” 78”

LENGTH* 69” 76” 76”

FORCED DRAFT (CFM) 0-140 0-140 0-140

CHIMNEY SIZE 6” 6” 6”

FIREBOX LENGTH 36” 48” 56”

HEATING AREA (SQ. FT.)** 5000 8000 10000

WATER CAPACITY (U.S. GAL.) 175 225 275

FIREBOX DOOR OPENING 24” X 36” 24” X 36” 24” X 36”

*TOTAL OUTSIDE DIMENSIONS **APPROXIMATE FIGURES, WILL VARY DUE TO HOME AND CLIMATE CONDITIONS

ALL CADILLAC OUTDOOR WOOD BURNING FURNACES ARE CONSTRUCTED USING

COMMERCIAL QUALITY BOILER PLATE EXCLUSIVE TO OUR OUTDOOR STOVES.

pics aren't coming up
Do you happen to have any info on where a guy can get a manual for a Cadillac boiler 5600? My boiler fans currently shut off when the temperature of the boiler gets down below 90°. So when I fire up the boiler at 65°, the fans won’t blow making it hard to get the fire stoked. Any ideas on how to keep the fans from shutting off below 90° would be awesome! Thank you!

Do you have any information on how I can keep my fans on my Cadillac 5600 wood boiler from shutting down when the boiler gets below 90°? Once the boiler temperature gets below 90°, the fan stop running, and that makes getting a new fire started very difficult. I would prefer the fans stay running and anytime the boiler temperature is below the set desired temperature. I am unable to find them manual online that can help me out with this problem. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you so much!

Cadillac Detailed info

Northern Steel Manufacturing LLC

Cadillac Outdoor Wood Furnaces

Northern Steel Manufacturing LLC, based in the heartland of Wisconsin, presents our line of outdoor wood burning stoves with our Cadillac stoves. We have been designing stoves for over a decade. We work directly with the stove market, getting right down to the real users’ needs, wants, and demands. Northern Steel manufacturing LLC is committed to bringing to the market not only the highest quality and most durable stove, bet we are continually creating, improving and introducing features and innovations that provide reliability, usability, and convenience, along with the greatest efficiency possible. Every one of our stoves is identified by a serial number, is manufactured utilizing industry surpassing robotic technology, water and air tested, finished and inspected by the most dedicated, experienced craftsman in the industry. Northern Steel Manufacturing LLC backs each and every stove with a limited 20 years warranty. Our skilled employees are the backbone of our company, leading to our success. They are ready to not only meet your needs, but exceed your expectations.

WOOD FURNACE FEATURES

Tool Caddy – Conveniently attached to the adjustable arm of the dusk-to-dawn light. Holds the rake and shovel provided with each furnace.
Class A Stainless Steel Chimney – This level of quality on the Cadillac.

Extra large Fuel Door – 24” x 36” door allowing for the extra large wood and easy loading.

Extra Large Ash Door – 5” x 12” clean out door allows for fast and easy ash removal.

Water Filled Heat Exchanger – This technology provides more surface area allowing 100% heat transfer with less heat escaping out the chimney.

QUALITY

High Grade Steel – All Cadillac outdoor wood burning furnaces are constructed using commercial quality boiler plate exclusive to Cadillac outdoor stoves.
Robotic Seamless Welding – Our Lincoln Arc mate 120il Robotic Welding technology assures unparalleled quality and consistency in the weldment of the inner and out water jacket, door jambs and internal parts.

Precision Fabricated Parts – Our investment in Whitney Plasma cutting technology in their Advantage and 3400 computer controlled 72” x 240” downdraft cutting tables assures precision cut parts and subcomponents.

Powder Coated – Our utilization of today’s powder coat technology creates an unmatched consistency in coverage and clarity in paint application.
R 3 8 Roof Insulation – Our base and side wall foil faced R 1 9 insulation is enhanced with full coverage of the roof with R 3 8 insulation.

INNOVATION
Our innovation features are industry leading, far surpassing any other stove. These include dusk to dawn light, water filled heat exchanger, and extra large lockable fuel door with anti flash back feature. Our class A stainless chimney is standard as is our innovative tool caddy, the friendliest storage system for the rake and shovel on the market. This is the only line of outdoor wood furnaces that knows the consumer. Northern Steel will meet your needs and wants with our Cadillac stove.

TOOL CADDY

Combining innovation with usability, Northern Steel Manufacturing LLC’s tool caddy removes the constant inconvenience other stoves have. This option is available on all of our stoves. Combined with our heavy duty shovel and rake, this feature provides not only more ease in cleaning the stove chamber, it gives the user an easy and safe storage location. No more picking up that muddy or frozen rake & shovel!

DUSK-TO-DAWN LIGHT

Attached to the Tool Caddy, this light attachment provides a better and wider lighted area with the automatic dimming and lighting of the load area.

FURNACE SPECIFICATIONS

MODEL 3600 4800 5600

WEIGHT (LBS) 2500 3000 3500

HEIGHT* 95” 96” 96”

WIDTH* 78” 78” 78”

LENGTH* 69” 76” 76”

FORCED DRAFT (CFM) 0-140 0-140 0-140

CHIMNEY SIZE 6” 6” 6”

FIREBOX LENGTH 36” 48” 56”

HEATING AREA (SQ. FT.)** 5000 8000 10000

WATER CAPACITY (U.S. GAL.) 175 225 275

FIREBOX DOOR OPENING 24” X 36” 24” X 36” 24” X 36”

*TOTAL OUTSIDE DIMENSIONS **APPROXIMATE FIGURES, WILL VARY DUE TO HOME AND CLIMATE CONDITIONS

ALL CADILLAC OUTDOOR WOOD BURNING FURNACES ARE CONSTRUCTED USING

COMMERCIAL QUALITY BOILER PLATE EXCLUSIVE TO OUR OUTDOOR STOVES.
Do you have any information on how I can keep my fans on my Cadillac 5600 wood boiler from shutting down when the boiler gets below 90°? Once the boiler temperature gets below 90°, the fan stop running, and that makes getting a new fire started very difficult. I would prefer the fans stay running and anytime the boiler temperature is below the set desired temperature. I am unable to find them manual online that can help me out with this problem. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you so much!

Info

The Cadillac can be used for either 1 or two channels of heating. Meaning, it has 4 ports on the back so you can heat two different buildings with an outgoing and incoming line......but if you only want to use 1 set you can easily put a plug on the other two ports. You could also install valves on the other two ports and just close them. Either way it's no problem and very easy.

If you run two channels, you just put a good pump indoors on each line set so the water is circulating fully thru both loops. The smart set up has the water at 180 degrees and circulating 100% of the time. The only thing your thermostat is doing is turning the blower on and off.

@Cadillac hasn’t been on AS since April of 2012 so unfortunately it’s unlikely they’ll respond to you.

Do the fans that stoke the fire shut down when the water temp drops below 90f ? That’s awful cool for the water to be in the stove. We like details and pictures !! Even if no Cadillac stove owners chime in we may be able to figure it out …

@Cadillac hasn’t been on AS since April of 2012 so unfortunately it’s unlikely they’ll respond to you.

Do the fans that stoke the fire shut down when the water temp drops below 90f ? That’s awful cool for the water to be in the stove. We like details and pictures !! Even if no Cadillac stove owners chime in we may be able to figure it out …
Yes, the fans are shutting down when the temp drops. I typically stoke the fire around nine at night. With the stove temp set at 165°, and the fans generally kick in at 150° and raise the temperature back up to 165°. Obviously when the boiler goes through the wood in the chamber, the fans continually blow but the temperature continues to drop. Usually when the fire gets soaked right away in the morning, the fans are running. But if I miss a cycle, and the stove gets colder, the fans automatically are shutting off. If I start a fire when the fans are off, it takes a while to get the fire going, and eventually the fans turn back on and everything goes as it is supposed to. The boiler has a love TSS5 Temp switch, and I have a feeling that the problem is in one of the adjustable settings in the switch, but I don’t know which setting is causing this to happen. I’m hoping to get a call back from the people who make the switch tomorrow, to get their input also.

You should never have to restart the fire in a OWB. I have never heard of the "Cadillac" brand but with all due respect if you stoke it at 9pm and the fire is dying by morning you have something very drastically wrong. I have a Central Boiler and right now I throw a few chunks in around 5pm each night and never consider looking at it til 5Pm the next night. If things are going right you light a fire each Fall, let it go out in the Spring and light it again in the Fall.

You should never have to restart the fire in a OWB. I have never heard of the "Cadillac" brand but with all due respect if you stoke it at 9pm and the fire is dying by morning you have something very drastically wrong. I have a Central Boiler and right now I throw a few chunks in around 5pm each night and never consider looking at it til 5Pm the next night. If things are going right you light a fire each Fall, let it go out in the Spring and light it again in the Fall.

I have had this stove for 3 years. Bought it used. I’ve never had a owb before, so really don’t know what to expect as far as efficiency. I load a wheel barrel into my boiler 3-4 times a day to heat a 4500 sf home with both in floor heat and a furnace with an A coil. All I know is that I havnt used any LP to heat my house since I got it, and I have 40 acres of all trees to feed the boiler. If I could find a manual, I could prolly set it up to be more efficient, but I guess I don’t know what I don’t know. Any advice would be appreciated. A new boiler is prolly not in my budget right now, even though the setup you have sounds NICE! Maybe next year!

Latest posts

Back