Calculate head loss

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anthony.d

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I plan on changing my setup for next winter. I have the CB5036.

Looking to run a primary loop into the house and secondary loops off that, one to each of the following.

Furnace HX for house, HX for attached garage, and kick space heater. All on separate stats.

Want to calculate this so I know I have the right pump or pumps installed.

Thanks for your help.

Strictly speaking head loss is encountered with a change in elevation (.43 psi/ft). What I think you are talking about is friction loss in horizontal runs. Don't forget that the flow will take the path of least resistance. If it were me (and it already has been) I would make a zone with it's own pump, a Taco 007 for example. I have good luck with them and they are relatively inexpensive at pexsupply.com.

Try the Taco equation, helped me alot picking pumps. You have to spend a bit of time entering your pipe size, fittings etc but it figures out the friction etc then shows you gpm flow etc on a chart to let you pick the sized pump you need...one with more head and less flow or the other way around...worth the time IMHO.
http://www.taco-hvac.com/uploads/FileLibrary/SelectingCirculators.pdf

Latest posts

Back