California Redwoods

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kbyam13

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
driving from San Fran to Eugene, OR from july 17 to 20 for a wedding on the 21st and looking for any info on where to climb, and If anyone out there wants to climb with. thanks.:help:

driving from San Fran to Eugene, OR from july 17 to 20 for a wedding on the 21st and looking for any info on where to climb, and If anyone out there wants to climb with. thanks.:help:

I imagine any response would have to be offline. It's "illegal to climb without permit"* in any of the national redwood preserves and I think for all of the state redwood preserves. Permit would be for a research climb or other "legitimate" purpose. So it's ninja or climb w/permission on private land?

*I don't know if the above is true. I've looked at the regulations on a couple of different park web sites and it didn't look like climbing is allowed.

I'm sure tree climbers have their favorite locations on the west coast same as elsewhere. It's like your favorite trout fishing hole, not something you want to broadcast if it's a don't ask don't tell ninja situation.
-moss

Last edited:
Aside from climbing, there are some nice size trees in the Simpson Reed grove off Hy. 199 east of Crescent City by a few miles, as well as Stout Grove within a half hour of that grove.

Similar to the one behind me on my current home page top photo, for girth.

If I were coming up Hy. 101 to Eugene, I'd check out the redwoods along Hy. 199, but I'd backtrack to Hy. 101 and follow the awesome coast route for a while, then cut over to 1-5 farther north.

The coast is excellent at least to Gold Beach, and then some.

199 is a bit bland near Cave Junction, Oregon to Grants Pass, Oregon.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back