Can a Ponderosa Pine seedling can recover if it loses its leader?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilovetrees

Reaction score
Hey guys, I planted several Ponderosa Pines seedlings a few years ago and bugs (moths I believe) caused them to lose their leaders and their tops have become like a bush. Should I just replant them or will another one of their buds become the leader? My feeling is that I should just replant because I don’t want to raise deformed trees but I hate to put them that much behind. This Spring they will be 4 years old.

It’s odd to note that the containerized ponderosa pine seedlings have almost not changed in size at all, while the bare root ones without a taproot have grown 2-3x bigger. But, I like the idea of them having a taproot to survive better against the wind and drought.

Thanks,
Jim

Most conifers will recover. You can help the process along by choosing the leader that appears strongest and pruning the competition. It would be my bet that you won't gain by replanting, your root system has been developing since you planted. Kansas is a little outside it's native range, but I doubt that should be a negative factor in their growth.

When you say your bare root seedlings have grown more than the container trees, are those trees currently in containers? Your seedlings will have grown a taproot on their own, even if you didn't see one when you planted one. Being a container would constrain the root system of your trees, and could cause them you grow more slowly. Pondys have a fairly extensive root system, so a container really isn't the best place for them.

Latest posts

Back