Can a topped magnolia be saved?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob King

Reaction score
Today, the tree service that my wife and I hired trimmed several trees and a large hedgerow on our property. In the process, the 12 year old magnolia in the corner of the back yard was topped from a height of approximately 14 feet to a height of 5 feet. The remainder of this tree has a main trunk diameter of about 3" with two branches the fork one foot below they cut. Both are about an inch in diameter. There is only one small branch remaining that still has foliage. The topping of this tree was unintended and it was perfectly healthy before it was cut. The owner of the tree service, who is a certified arborist, was instructed to leave this tree as it was. Of all the trees on our property the loss of this particular tree is most distressing. It was planted by my wife with the help of our autistic son when he was a toddler, so it goes without saying that our hearts are broken.

Long story short we need help and advice.
1. Can this tree be saved?
2. What can we do to prevent disease?
Assuming this tree can be saved,
3. What can we do to help nurture it back to health?
4. Is it possible for this tree to grow back to a pleasing shape?

Magnolias are very hardy trees, I have seen them recover from substantial damage. If you still have some branching structure intact, maintain proper tree health & you should start to see heavy suckering. Keep soil moist & protect from sun-scald.
Can you post pics?

Been there 12 years still has a chance. How would you protect from sunscald? Shade cloth? You need the sun to encourage sprouts to regrow, no?

Thanks for your feedback. I'm a software engineer by profession and know little about greenery. I'm at least learning a bit of the terminology and that helps. As far as his reason for cutting it? He said: "I thought that's what you wanted. You said to cut all of the hedges below the top of the fence." At this point that is irrelevant anyway.

Here are pics of what is left.
IMG_4641.JPG IMG_4642.JPG

A pic of the first roots growing from the stem would help w prognosis.

Bad time of year for this but magnolias are good at bouncing back.

I'd suggest trimming those high stumps back to their branching points, so they scar over. Else, good conduits for pests & pathogens.

I know the tree has history for your family and all, and granted it could possibly be rehabilitated to resemble a tree again, but at that size i'd write it off and plant another one, it's ruined, a mercy killing would be best. It'll never be the tree it was or could of been. Magnolia sun scald real easy.

Don't blame the cert, blame the specs. It was part of the hedge.

Magnolias do not need to go back to laterals. Once it sprouts it won't be hard to restore good form. Patience pays.

The owner of the tree company was instructed to leave the Magnolia as it was? If so, I sure hope you didn't pay them. Was he the one doing the cutting , or was it some hired flunky?
Even if I was told to cut the hedge below the fence, I would double check before cutting a Magnolia TREE that was in the hedge.

It's certainly forever changed. I've seen Magnolias comas back when flush cut to the ground (not in June though). Since this tree has intrinsic value, I'd give it some time. Of course, I'm a grass hack mostly and hardly qualified to comment here, but there really is no excuse for a "certified arborist" to leave work like that behind. Especially if you specifically mentioned it. Sorry for your loss.

Latest posts

Back