Split Tree Help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jen0910

Reaction score
Hi, We had almost 2 feet of wet snow a few days ago that caused a birch tree in my yard to split. We cut and removed the bulk of the fallen trunk but want to save the rest of the tree. What can we do to help the tree heal and give it the best chance of survival?

GOPR3113.jpg GOPR3117.jpg
GOPR3122.jpg GOPR3125.jpg GOPR3126.jpg

Hmm, thanks for the responses even if they aren't what I want to hear. Any suggestions for protecting it from bugs while we get a new tree started?

Hmm, thanks for the responses even if they aren't what I want to hear. Any suggestions for protecting it from bugs while we get a new tree started?

Decay will be cause by fungi and there is nothing that you can do.

Insects won't be much of a problem.

Arborist look at trees, limbs, limb junctions, etc and try to predict failure points. Likely the limb that failed and tore out such a huge section of the main trunk could have been prevented or at least postponed by reducing wind and weight loading. Snow and ice loading are more difficult to predict and trees that grow out in the open Vs growing in a woodland setting are more subject to damage than trees growing in groups. Also open grown trees spread their limbs widely and this makes them more likely to fail due to the forces of nature.

Plant your new trees in groups as this mimics the conditions to which trees have been adapting to for millions of years.

A lot of urban tree problems stem from ignoring this fact.

The same genes but notice the different growth habit:

grove of white birch.jpg

Decay will be cause by fungi and there is nothing that you can do.

Insects won't be much of a problem.

Arborist look at trees, limbs, limb junctions, etc and try to predict failure points. Likely the limb that failed and tore out such a huge section of the main trunk could have been prevented or at least postponed by reducing wind and weight loading. Snow and ice loading are more difficult to predict and trees that grow out in the open Vs growing in a woodland setting are more subject to damage than trees growing in groups. Also open grown trees spread their limbs widely and this makes them more likely to fail due to the forces of nature.

Plant your new trees in groups as this mimics the conditions to which trees have been adapting to for millions of years.

A lot of urban tree problems stem from ignoring this fact.

Thanks. We lost a large nearby elm to dutch elm disease last year and have planted a basswood and 3 sugar maples to fill in. Guess we need to add another tree to the lineup.

I think this was an ornamental birch tree that was planted by previous owners - not sure why people love the multi-trunked trees...

I've seen old timers paint the wound with pitch.
Not saying I actually know anything about why or it's effectiveness.
Might be worth a Google.

I've seen old timers paint the wound with pitch.
Not saying I actually know anything about why or it's effectiveness.
Might be worth a Google.
nope...traps in moisture, making it more hospitable for fungus.

I've seen worse wounds and trees last for several years. Will it fall on the road if it snaps off? If not, will it hit anything else? If not, let it be until it falls. If it will hit something when it falls, keep a really close eye on it an removed it when decay progresses too deep into the trunk.

I had a tree sustain damage similar to that a few years ago. The tree continues to thrive as far as the rest of it is concerned. Not pretty where the big scar is but no need to cut it down so long as it’s not a threat to anything. Painting over that area is NOT recommended. Trees have mechanisms in place to heal just like the human body.

White birch are especially dangerous to cut. Rot often does not show through the well-sealed bark...you can have a pretty-sound looking tree that just falls apart.

You can also have birch which are sound for the first 30', and, then, punky above.

I'd cut it tomorrow. Plant what you want when the snow is done.

You'll also get better firewood if you cut it soon.

Roy

Latest posts

Back