can an 1100cd take a 42" bar?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grantwolland

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I was wondering if the automatic oiler on an early husqvarna 1100CD will handle the oiling job of a 42 inch sprocket nose bar? according to the ipl(the earliest one that husky offers) it appears to only have one screw in the top instead of two like the 2100's. does this mean it is non-adjustable? acres' website says the 1100 can take a 36" bar and the 2100 up to a 60" but why? I don't see enough differences between the two other than the oiler. what are your experiences? any one have a service manual for these saws? my 2100 service manual gives a spec for the flow at both settings but does anyone know about this single screw pump on the 1100CD? Anyone also have issues with these saws not reaching top rpm? right now she's only making about 8,000 rpm. I'm thinking it may be the fuel governor valve. it has 150 psi of compression and a lot on it is new. so I don't think it could be a maintenance item.

I didnt get to run mine too much before I tore it down, but with a 20" bar it was throwing enough oil to oil two 42" bars.

I'm getting to be a firm beliver in blocking those governors off, you may want to try it.

Sharp skip chain with a good oil I would think though. My experience with the 1100CD was similar to MM's, the saws were sort of like oil spraying fire hoses. It oiled the 36" hard tip that I used just fine.

Careful with over reving the 1100CD, some parts are scarce and typically expensive. Pistons are easy but a good cylinder is usually going to be pricey.
Cranks are easier to find than cylinders but still fetch a good amount of cash.

I didnt get to run mine too much before I tore it down, but with a 20" bar it was throwing enough oil to oil two 42" bars.

I'm getting to be a firm beliver in blocking those governors off, you may want to try it.

I agree on the governors. PITA, but I would recommend proceeding with caution and if in doubt get a replacement for a saw that is going to see hard use.

*snip* my 2100 service manual gives a spec for the flow at both settings but does anyone know about this single screw pump on the 1100CD?

As far as I know and depending on year of manufacture, the 2100 came with two different pump gear rates and therefore possibly the two oil feed rates mentioned in the manual. I am unsure of exactly what circumstances pertained to the supply of the different feed rate gears.

http://www.servicecentralen.se/file...PL_2/HIPL1985/Chain_Saw/HIPL1985_I8500005.pdf

Diagram 'L' page 6 shows two flow rates...... 9-18ml and 15-24ml. I have a 15-24ml gear and on the cutout at the end of the gear is stamped 'h' which I am guessing stands for 'high'? Am now wondering whether the flow rates in your manual match any of these??

b4b.

the 1100 has a non adjustable oiler, but I think it puts out enough oil to run bars up to 36" at least. 42" might be a bit big imo, especially if you like to go milling or so. I didn't run both my saws enough to check top rpm, but they vibrate enough already at low rpm.

Last edited:
I agree on the governors. PITA, but I would recommend proceeding with caution and if in doubt get a replacement for a saw that is going to see hard use.

Do you have a reliabel source for those HS governors? I just went through a 3 week wait trying to get one for my 71-A and were told there actually NLA and reduced to distributors old stock.

I agree caution should be exercised when blocked off, but most of us know to not free rev a saw out of the cut, have the mixture screws properly set etc.

Maybe I should have said that as a disclaimer.

the 1100 has a non adjustable oiler, but I think it puts out enough oil to run bars up to 36" at least. 42" might be a bit big imo, especially if you like to go milling or so. I didn't run both my saws enough to check top rpm, but they vibrate enough already at low rpm.

Thats what I thought also Roland. The 2100 oiler is different is it not?

thanks for the input guys. how do you go about blocking off the valve? the saw seemed to oil very well without the bar and chain on maybe my chain is too tight, i never checked for spray yet because i noticed minor sparks and tip heating by just revving it up for more than 5 seconds. the bar chain combo is correct, both 404 pitch 63 guage. this is my first big bar over 24" so i was unsure. I'll definately set it a little rich to avoid a lean condition. a must for all my older saws. I think I'm going to pull the clutch and oiler just to make sure I don't have an adjustable oiler behind the cover(i.e. the cam screw and cover screw type) by the way-happy thanksgiving!

Last edited:
The 2100 CD has an adjustable oiler (two levels only), but you have to unscrew the oiler cover to get access to it...

see also http://www.arboristsite.com/showpost.php?p=1842157&postcount=7

Looking at the 1100 IPL, It may have the same setup....:clap:

I know thats what I was thinking as I have mine apart but it looks the same.

These saws this old get parts swapped over the years so its hard to tell what is what.

Whatever, the removing the whole pump to change 2 screws around to change the oil flow is a bad arrangement.

At least they moved on from that.

Do you have a reliabel source for those HS governors? I just went through a 3 week wait trying to get one for my 71-A and were told there actually NLA and reduced to distributors old stock.

I agree caution should be exercised when blocked off, but most of us know to not free rev a saw out of the cut, have the mixture screws properly set etc.

Maybe I should have said that as a disclaimer.

I will see the dealer next week and ask if the governors were old stock or if he was ordering them and if so from who, etc.. It would not surprise me if they are NLA but I do not know where the last batch came from. It has been a while(at least a year) since I bought any as I tend to buy in bulk on such items.
I do not have any left myself and had basically decided to swap carbs or block off any gov carbs since I ran out.

Back