Can anyone help identify what's missing on my saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STIHL-KID

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
This is a picture of my basketcase Stihl 028 wood boss. I'm not really sure what it's missing for the clutch/sprocket assembly. Chime-in if you know what i'm missing in the picture.

STIHL-KID said:
This is a picture of my basketcase Stihl 028 wood boss. I'm not really sure what it's missing for the clutch/sprocket assembly. Chime-in if you know what i'm missing in the picture.

I don't see anything missing in the clutch area. The clutch itself is inboard, its behind that plastic cover. The sprocket and spur gear look in tact..........

Looks like you are also missing the chainbrake handle at the least. possibly the internals of the brake, but I cant see those through plastic.

Caseyforest is right about the chain adjuster and bar plate being missing though.

coveredinsap said:
Is that saw meant to keep crows away stuck up on the fence like that?

You are being really helpful today. Don't you have your own thread to watch?

Last edited:
The chain adjuster is missing - just a screw with the chain détente and a plastic guide on the end. As Casey mentioned, the the inner guide plate also. This covers the area between the studs and protects the case from the chain.

This model didn't have a chain brake - just a hand guard.

Any more pics top and towards the carb?

Thanks for the feedback!

I appreciate all of the feedback so far. I feel kinda dumb for asking about the clutch/sprocket assembly. My local Stihl dealer showed me that it's located behind the plastic cover. I attempted to take off that cover today, however after romoving the screws the cover seemed to be stuck on something. I didn't want to pry and break it. Does the chain spur have to come off first? Yikes!:dizzy: I need a manual! Anyway, as for the chainsaw on the fence.......no I wasn't scaring off crows:hmm3grin2orange: I'm actually 6'5" tall and needed a place to take a good upclose picture. I will add some more views of the saw soon. Thanks STIHL-KID

THALL10326 said:
I don't see anything missing in the clutch area. The clutch itself is inboard, its behind that plastic cover. The sprocket and spur gear look in tact..........

Did I miss something? Looks like a rim sprocket to me.....

STIHL-KID said:
I appreciate all of the feedback so far. I feel kinda dumb for asking about the clutch/sprocket assembly. My local Stihl dealer showed me that it's located behind the plastic cover. I attempted to take off that cover today, however after romoving the screws the cover seemed to be stuck on something. I didn't want to pry and break it. Does the chain spur have to come off first? Yikes!:dizzy: I need a manual! Anyway, as for the chainsaw on the fence.......no I wasn't scaring off crows:hmm3grin2orange: I'm actually 6'5" tall and needed a place to take a good upclose picture. I will add some more views of the saw soon. Thanks STIHL-KID

Sometimes the plastic sticks.... but, first you have to take off the circlip on the end of the crank, the Rim sprocket, then there is a larger circlip on the drum close to the plastic. You can just take off the drum with the plastic, but as the drum often sticks on the clutch, take off the drum circlip first.

Freakingstang said:
Did I miss something? Looks like a rim sprocket to me.....

You be very correct Stang, it is a rim sprocket but most all the sprocket itself is behind the plastic side cover. The only part of the sprocket that sticks out of the cover is the spur in which the rim fits on. I always callem a spur but your right, that is a rim your seeing in the pic. Got a good eye there ole boy, how dares you correct me, and be right on top of it too, lolololol..........

How does the rim sprocket work?

I noticed the "rim sprocket" on my saw. How does it engage to the actual chain? Maybe I'm not understanding it correctly? What actual part drives the chain? The "rim sprocket" on my saw currently can be pushed inward and outward on the shaft it rides on. You can also spin it freely around the shaft. Wondering what it will take to get a bar and chain on this saw as pictured? :confused:

The rim floats so the chain can move with it. It spins freely because the clutch isn't engaged - the cluch engages at about 3400 +/- with good springs.

You need an inner cover, chain tensioner, bar, 2 nuts and the chain guard - and a chain... But get running first.

Latest posts

Back