Can anyone tell me what kind of trees these are?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustaHatRack

Social Distancing by living 5 roads off asphalt
Reaction score
There are hundreds of them on my property in North Arkansas and they seem to want to grow horizontally. The picture doesn't show it very well but the underside of the leaves are silver, sort of like the plant Dusty Miller. And they grow fast. I have to cut them back almost every time I mow or they just take over the place. In fact to keep from having to constanly duck I have to carry a lopper/trimmer on my mower. ThanksView attachment 848673View attachment 848673View attachment 848673

Yep...

Depending on the size;
*foliar treat smallest shrubs.
*larger get cut off and stump treated.
*real big ones get bark spray with garlon 4 in oil carrier (no fun to reach in there to cut the whole thing)

Thanks. These have been driving me crazy for 3 years. I've had to place hooks on my mower to carry pruners with me because they like to grow horizontally so my choice is mow around them or prune them back.....and back...and back. Didn't want to kill them until I knew what they were and if they were useful/edible. I do make wine and jelly from the orchard so I may try some jam with these. Again thanks for sharing you knowledge. Yall Rock
As a side note the berries make wonderful jam.
Thanks for that tip. I make wine and jelly from my orchard so will have to try these berries. As repayment for your kindness in sharing I would like to share my chestnut trees with you. COME and get them. All of them!!! :)

Rip em out by the roots some have thorns
That certainly gets rid of them! However, I am not a big fan of the unnecessary soil disturbance or the compaction from the equipment it takes to pull them out. I'd rather minimal herbicide applications...but understand not everybody agrees with that, and that is OK!

That certainly gets rid of them! However, I am not a big fan of the unnecessary soil disturbance or the compaction from the equipment it takes to pull them out. I'd rather minimal herbicide applications...but understand not everybody agrees with that, and that is OK!
If you get the seedlings when they are small hand pulling or some persuasion with a pick or shovel will help
It seems some invasive plants are bigger problem in certain areas some are bad enough in the north
I'd think the warm south must make for more growth

Even FL state program was flawed. They'd cut and spray...the effective method is spray and then cut. Systemics want a viable plant to be effective. ****ing mess managed by idiots.

If you get the seedlings when they are small hand pulling or some persuasion with a pick or shovel will help
It seems some invasive plants are bigger problem in certain areas some are bad enough in the north
I'd think the warm south must make for more growth
I usually find them as a single stalk coming up in the woods and pull them up.

I tried lots of ways to remove/kill/destroy the Amur River Privet hedge (Ligustrum amurense?) that was taking over my central Arkansas property and the best hope seems to be pull it out with my truck then mow mow mow as it pops back up. Not sure how to best deal with this Elaeagnus (but I WILL listen to yall) because a lot of it is bigger than my thigh and it is popping up all over the place. Even if you don't sleep much life is just too short to get a PHD in everything under the sun so your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Paraquat is pretty effective most of the time properly applied.
I believe it is a controlled chemical but easy enough to procure and handle safely.
Not here to say it works on everything but in my experience it does the job on plants with bark effectively. No bark, try RoundUp first.

Back