can hanging a clothesline harm a mature tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tb409

Reaction score
hello

i have a mature very large basic maple tree in my yard appx 50' tall with a trunk diameter of about 30"
i would like to string a clothesline from the tree to porch. i will need to screw a 1/4"-5/16" x 3" long hook into the tree to accomplish this. will this harm the tree in any way?

thanks for the help

Beat me to it.:numberone:

You have to be very careful doing it that way. 1) Overtime if slack is not kept in the anchor line you will girdle the tree which could kill it or 2) Wind blowing on the close line can cause the anchor line to chaff the tree bark off causing bleeding, scaring, disease, etc. far safer to install a twist-in anchor.

You have to be very careful doing it that way. 1) Overtime if slack is not kept in the anchor line you will girdle the tree which could kill it or 2) Wind blowing on the close line can cause the anchor line to chaff the tree bark off causing bleeding, scaring, disease, etc. far safer to install a twist-in anchor.
Easy enough to loosen it right? Well either way would work. I just hate hitting things in trees

You have to be very careful doing it that way.

No matter what you do, it shouldn't be a thin skinned sapling, Its should be a sturdy tree. And it shouldn't be a fixed/permanent line anyway. You should remove it when not hanging laundry (as weather will eventually wear out the line).

Just take the hook and attach to the end of your clothesline (or use a carabiner, or use nothing and just have enough extra line to tie a basic slipknot). Measure/cut clothesline to be the correct length. Wrap the clothesline around the tree and hook/clip/tie the end back onto itself. If this is slipping down the tree, lengthen the line to be able to wrap an extra time (or two) around the tree, or have it go around at a branch point.

I would suggest a lag bolt that you do not screw in all the way. In a few years, when the tree has grown out to near the head of the bolt, just back it off a turn or two. That way you don't leave any metal in the tree and you don't run the risk of girdling it either.

Don't wrap a rope around the tree. It's easy to forget to loosen it once in a while, and before you know it, it will be embedded in the bark and kill the tree. Oldman is right - get a lag bolt (eye screw would be better) and leave some room for expansion.

you got that line up already? my britches need an airing soon..

Hooks screwed in limbs is not ideal outcome for tree or a future woodsman, consider webbing sling or rope type material that will break down over some years not harm tree and you'll get your clothes dried for a few years ahead...

We'll probably never hear from the OP again, but thought I'd add... there's always this option, and you won't have to worry about hurting your tree:
clothesline.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Household-Essentials-12-Line-Outdoor-Umbrella-Style/dp/B000BO96W8

Got ours at Amazon years ago now, and it has been worth every penny.

Back