can I save my Ash?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tomy Marshall

Reaction score
I have a 4 year old ash tree. I am in Denver colorado, last spring we had a major freeze and my ash never grew its leaves for the whole summer. had a guy come look at it and he said it was in shock due to the freeze. this year it is only growing on the lower part of the tree. My wife wants me to cut it down, I do not. Can i get some advice about what should be down with the tree?

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 55
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    121.7 KB · Views: 46
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 41
According to your wife, the only way to save YOUR ash is to remove the tree. I am not an arborist, but it appears the central spar survived OK and the extremities have suffered. Someone else may say otherwise, but if it were me, I'd replace it.

Replace with different species.

Before removing it, scrape the bark and look for emerald ash borer. Don't cut into the wood...just scrape the bark. I don't think EAB has been identified in Denver yet...but the way that tree is dying looks way too familiar! Not saying it is emerald ash borer - just saying check it out (and post pics here if you would like)

Replace with different species.

Before removing it, scrape the bark and look for emerald ash borer. Don't cut into the wood...just scrape the bark. I don't think EAB has been identified in Denver yet...but the way that tree is dying looks way too familiar! Not saying it is emerald ash borer - just saying check it out (and post pics here if you would like)
Contact your extension office if you think it is! Dont just throw it in the wood pile.

Back