Can I swap to flippy caps on my late 1990s to early 2000 Stihl 029 super "Farm Boss"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FantMN

Reaction score
I've seen the flippy caps for gas and oil on the newer Stihls. I got my 029 super sometime around 1997 - 2000. It has the gas caps that you need a screwdriver or tool to open. I'm wondering if I can easily "upgrade" to the flippy caps. If so, please provide part numbers.
I did a bunch of searching and didn't see an answer so I figured I'd post.
Thanks

Na you can’t, the tanks are different threads. That said, think yourself VERY fortunate to have a machine that doesn’t use flippy caps! The screw caps are wayyy better, don’t leak, easy to tighten more if the seal starts to get a bit old, the cap covers the whole tank threads so no sawdust falls in. The list is endless for the pros of the screw caps. Flippy caps fail, crack, leak, can’t be tightened more than what the thread offers, often fiddly to twist on and off. Stay away :)

Thanks for the quick response. I guess I'll make sure I have a big screwdriver with me at all times. :) As with many things, the things that look easier don't always work as well.

Na you can’t, the tanks are different threads. That said, think yourself VERY fortunate to have a machine that doesn’t use flippy caps! The screw caps are wayyy better, don’t leak, easy to tighten more if the seal starts to get a bit old, the cap covers the whole tank threads so no sawdust falls in. The list is endless for the pros of the screw caps. Flippy caps fail, crack, leak, can’t be tightened more than what the thread offers, often fiddly to twist on and off. Stay away :)
The schrench remains a screwdriver tool, to this day, and most saws still retain the caps with slot. I have a box of flip caps, to replace the box of flip caps that fail. There is a YT video on how to unlock them? The slot caps have a simple flat gasket, easily replaced, even once, for those saws.

The schrench remains a screwdriver tool, to this day, and most saws still retain the caps with slot. I have a box of flip caps, to replace the box of flip caps that fail. There is a YT video on how to unlock them? The slot caps have a simple flat gasket, easily replaced, even once, for those saws.
Yep I get that you use your scrench, but you shouldn’t have to if you’re not over tightening the cap. It’s to remove a stuck cap, not to tighten it down.

As other's have said, if the gasket is good finger tight is all that is needed. If you are having to use a tool to tighten or loosen them the rubber is hard, compressed, or has deteriorated.
I don't have the hatred for flip caps that many on here do, but still 100% prefer screw caps.

Latest posts

Back