Can my tree be saved ??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwbokc

Reaction score
Hello, I just joined the forum and need your advice badly. I have a single tree (maple?) in my front yard. The bark on the west side of the trunk is peeling off revealing the wood. The area is about three feet in length. The tree is approximately 20 years old. I live in Oklahoma City and this area is very prone to termites. What can I do to save my tree? See attached pics.

Any advice is very appreciated.

Thank you.

The bark is pealing off an old trunk wound on your Maple. I would gently pull away the loose bark to help keep this area dry. Let the tree continue to slowly cover the dead area with callous tissue. Inspect the root flair, consider mulching & treat for insects as needed. Keep in mind that the long term structurally integrity of this tree has been compromised.

Note, we don't run into termite in trees issues up here so hopefully someone else will chime in on that.

The injury could have come from a number of things. I am also thinking the trunk has been compromised and to remove the tree now.

While termites can sometimes be spotted in trees, they tend to prefer dead wood. When they are in trees, they are usually feeding on the dead cellulose found in the trees. They normally will not eat the wood from a live tree.

Latest posts

Back