Can my tree be saved?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xheesh

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a tree that I believe is engulfed in poison ivy. I have cut some of the thick roots/vines and sprayed roundup poison ivy and this doesn't seem to be killing the ivy. I would like to save the tree but willing to take it down if need be. We inherited this problem when we bought the house 3 years ago. We didn't notice it till the first summer. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
That big vine reminds me of the one I cut during one winter, the saw kick some sap in my face, next day I was in the hospital. The staff thought I had burns on my face.
Hard to tell whats poison ivy and whats tree. Any thing you use on the Ivy will more then likely kill the tree also. I'd hire some one who doesn't get it to remove the whole thing in winter. Then be sure to spray it in spring when it pops back up

Do you think a regular tree service company will take this down? How much do you think this will run me in Northern NJ. 1K?

Last edited:
If you cut those vines at the ground, the ivy up in the tree will die. Use long handle loppers and you can run a water hose over them while you cut if you're scared of oil spraying you. Even after the vine is dead it can still get you. Wait several months before pulling the vines out of the tree or just let them rot. Poison Ivy is a weird thing. When I was young, it tore me up. Haven't had any for 25 years, until this year. I also got my first case of poison sumac ever about a month ago, climbed through it, pulling it off as I went and I paid the price. I wouldn't spray herbicide on the vines but you can try painting roundup on the ends after you cut them.

This sounds crazy, but this works. Years ago, a insurance company contacted me about some PI, they had a back patio area that had been let go for like 10 years. Little micro climate in the middle of downtown. Had tons of PI that was engulfing the trees, hackberry's and lindens if I remember right. They where really freaked about it, getting it out and not releasing any dust or sap into the air. Very dense area with little trendy boutique lawyer offices, shops and such. I looked at it and said "HELL NO!" I was up for it, but I am immune to it, my guys at the time, not so much. One kid that worked for me could look at it and get it. I wanted this firm as a client so I contacted a pro landscape company that the wife is a biologist. Handed it over to her and stayed on for the assist. She showed up with Trioxx (SP?) and syringes. We had to be real careful with the chem as it will kill anything pretty quick, so she injected the PI, the whole gallon,down at the base with it, this took several hours. She was worried that the chem would still get into the tees, but it didn't. The client didn't care if it did, they wanted the trees, but wanted the PI gone more. So if the trees where effected, so be it. We caution taped the area off came back in a month. It was all dead. Crunchy dead. She said we needed to wait till winter to remove, more so windows where not open and peeps where not around. We did, I used my bucket and went up and started pulling it off the trees, it came off really easy. I don't get PI, so I was doing most of the work, I used lopers and bypass pruners to free the wraps but just pulled off the big leaders. Some of the stuff was 3-4" in dia. It took 3 days to get it out. Some trees where engulfed. We loaded it into my dump trailer, she said not to chip, as the dust.... We took out to a farm and burned it. Had the trailer full. She did it this way, in a effort to not do any damage to the trees. It worked, they all came back and are still thriving today, that was maybe 15 years ago. She billed them over 10'gs for this! I just about fell over when she told me this. She said that she explained the liability she was taking on and since they where a super hi-end insurance co, they got it and where happy to pay and to eliminate their exposure if someone was to get it and was severely allergic.

Last edited:
PI is a clinger and not a strangler so its not "killing" the tree.
I agree with cutting the PI @ the base, careful not to cut into the tree. Not even a little bit.

Cut it low and make sure you get all of the collateral roots. There are lots of them to support the vine. Spray the cut stem with straight RU. I have taken out PI that size with a couple of apps. I just recut the vine to expose fresh wood a couple of weeks after the initial app. DO NOT BURN THE VINES. The urushiol oils in the vine stay active for months/year(s). They can be liberated by the heat and suspended in the smoke. There are many documented cases of inhalation of PI smoke killing people. The lungs and trach just swell shut, just like you hands swell when exposed. I am fortunate that I am not sensitive. However, even those of us who do not react can become sensitized with repeated exposure.

poison ivy/oak/sumac

I'm allergic, yet work around the stuff 60-90 days once it's been cut at base of tree & again 6' or so up. Otherwise, it sometimes regrows. pull out the severed 6'sections & wait 90 days. then pull vines out the tree. However some fat ones may take a year to get broken down. Meanwhile, when it's bitterly cold out deal with the vines' roots. Clean with lotsa cold soapy water extensively & you might not get it. Like murph said, never burn it or you're then really rolling the dice! Good Luck.

Back