Can some Husqvarna person explain why the cylinder gasket blocks the impulse port?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So here's the deal, I work on a lot of saws, just never been inside this series of Husqvarna much.

I found why this 266SE won't run, the OEM gasket blocks the impulse hole in the cylinder. The saw came to me apart, but I used the same exact number cylinder for a replacement and a new piston. The cylinder gasket that came off the saw is identical to the brand new 501512204 cylinder gasket from Husky.

I only gave it a passing glance when putting it together. Only when the saw wouldn't run, only start on choke for a bit that I really started to look closer.

Long story short I took it back apart and had to clip the corner of the gasket to uncover the impulse hole in the cylinder. What is going on? How is the gasket suppose work covering the impulse hole. The OEM gasket pictures that I see online are all the same, no impulse hole.

I will show some pictures to explain better.

If you look close you can see the triangle intent in the gasket where it blocks of the hole

IMG_20221216_120205848.jpg

You can see the impulse hole in the cylinder

IMG_20221216_120229209.jpg

So I snipped the gasket to clear the impulse hole.

IMG_20221216_120349988.jpg

Showing the modified gasket on the cylinder.

IMG_20221216_120408696.jpg

Matches the notch in the case

IMG_20221216_120522584.jpg

Why is the gasket not notched from the factory?

How did the saw run before I got it with that gasket? ( the saw was a basket case when I got it)

I wish I would have paid attention to the one in my Jred 630 when I put a piston in it last year or two.

Thank you! I went and looked, at the old cylinder and gasket, your right, it needed turned 90 deg.

The round end of the original gasket was indented for the front of the cylinder.

The way it came to me was wrong and I couldn't see the forest for the trees. My dumb ass move. Some days are like that!

Just jump up and down, swear a bit and then tear someone a new one for sending you a Jonsered 625 gasket for a 2## Husqvarna! :lol:

Easiest way around it is to throw all base gaskets aside and use a liquid gasket maker- although it can be done to block an impulse with that stuff as well. ;)

roncoinc had a 266 that would not run......he had it apart 5-6 times....different igns...different carbs....he fought and fought with it...never won.. I was down to his an great..place and he was so mad at it he said if I could get it running I could have it. Same exact problem.....the PO had turned the cyl base gasket a quarter turn. I put it back together and it started second pull and ran great!! He had not pulled the cyl so didn't catch it. I said I didn't need it but he put it in the back of my truck and said "Good riddance"...so it now lives one state over!!!

No worries, I think all have had one of those moments in repairing saws.
maybe more than once in my case-lol

Anyone who works on a lot of saws defiantly will have that moment now and again.

Just bugs me that I could see something wrong and it didn't connect. I'll blame it on a "senior" moment. Haha

roncoinc had a 266 that would not run......he had it apart 5-6 times....different igns...different carbs....he fought and fought with it...never won.. I was down to his an great..place and he was so mad at it he said if I could get it running I could have it. Same exact problem.....the PO had turned the cyl base gasket a quarter turn. I put it back together and it started second pull and ran great!! He had not pulled the cyl so didn't catch it. I said I didn't need it but he put it in the back of my truck and said "Good riddance"...so it now lives one state over!!!

roncoinc , thats a name I have not heard in some time. Good guy who I hope is doing well.

Believe me, for a moment I was thinking of using this saw for target practice.

It runs good now, I think I will keep this one around for my own use.

Might move the 630 down the road, no need to keep two of these same physical size saws and might as well keep the bigger displacement one.

I did find a NOS coil for it as well.

roncoinc , thats a name I have not heard in some time. Good guy who I hope is doing well.

Believe me, for a moment I was thinking of using this saw for target practice.

It runs good now, I think I will keep this one around for my own use.

Might move the 630 down the road, no need to keep two of these same physical size saws and might as well keep the bigger displacement one.

I did find a NOS coil for it as well.
Ron is doing ok, I read posts from him most days.

I had a similar issue with a 272. It has impulse hold in the hard plastic intake block. I’m not certain of the origin of my gaskets but they didn’t have the hole for the impulse. I punched it out with something small and round and finally got the thing running.

The gaskets came with the saw in a box of parts. Had everything to make it run with a couple extra rubber mounts and smalls. Reminds me I need to go over that oiler on that one. I have 3 of those. One of my all time favorite saws

Latest posts

Back