Can someone explain this Cedar log?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooperforeman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
225167d1329762585-100_0139-jpg
225166d1329762576-100_0138-jpg
225165d1329762565-100_0137-jpg
This is a strange looking log,the bark is growing in a twist like the threads on a screw.No one has ever seen anything it before.Is it useful for anything? I cut a slab with the chainsaw and sanded it,the grain goes in both directions.View attachment 225165View attachment 225166View attachment 225167

Last edited:
I've never seen anything like that...hard wood or soft?. Post a pic of the slab. If it is real figured you might sell them as fireplace mantles.

It's White Cedar,softwood.

I don't think it's wind twisted,it was in a swamp and the only one there like it.

it's common here in NH with swamp maples ...not yet milled any but looks like it would be very interesting...good score never seen cedar do that

Those might be worth more in the UN-sawn condition. I would check with local woodworkers first.
Rick

Those might be worth more in the UN-sawn condition. I would check with local woodworkers first.
Rick

That's what i was thinking. Seems like there would be much to hold boards together anyways. I however would like to see a board just because.

Thanks for the link. Good reading there.
I'll post a picture later in the week of a board.We sawed a slab board 20" with the chainsaw,then ran it through the planer.

It's White Cedar,softwood.

I don't think it's wind twisted,it was in a swamp and the only one there like it.

I'm not familiar with white cedar and not questioning your knowledge,but this is a very common characteristic of juniper which is what it looks like to me,without seeing the tree i couldn,t really say.

Save the gas and wear and tear on your saw and cut it into firewood. Spiral grain logs have no value as sawn lumber, actually in my book they have negative value. The boards will twist excessively when drying. Then assuming you can plane one of the dried boards flat as it moves with seasonal moisture changes it will trist or un-twist depending on the direction of moisture change.

If you use spiral grain lumber to make a glued up panel the seasonal movement will blow apart the glue joints. If you choose to make a slab table or bench from your spiral grain log it may start off sitting flat but it will only be flat 2x a year the rest of the time it will wobble as it twists and untwists.

you may think I am exagerating how worthless spiral grain wood is, but I am speaking from pesonal experiance. Also your Cedar log is actually cypress. I know everyone calls it white cedar but it is actually a cypress not a cedar.

Last edited:
Cypress? I'm from Louisiana and it does not look at all like the cypress I'm familiar with. Is it a sub-species?

Well sir this walnut is tooo straight, too dark, too light, too thick, no knots, too many knots-- honestly I can please my wife easier than the wood buyers around here.

Dude wanted 16 foot straight osage orange posts 10"x10", that stuff does not grow straight, a pain to mill, and then low price, and would dry crooked..... I understand specifications and all and have paid for my saw and mill but it aint easy.

If it was my log, i'd mill it... Once i opened it, then i'd decide what i'd mill out of it.

Rob

Latest posts

Back