Can someone tell me what this is?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm surprised at all the uses for this 'flip stick'. Follow your logs to the mill, and you will see the process. After boards are sawn they go onto this conveyor to be sorted. The boards are moving slowly all laying side by side, and the 'grader' walks on top of them inspecting. Grader uses the rubber ball end of stick under edge of board and flips it over. After looking at both sides of board, another stick in the other hand with a 'paint stick' on the end is used to write either 1,2,or3 on the board. The grader then steps on board to begin inspection of next. Further down on the conveyor, a group of 'imigrant types' will sort the boards by type and stack them accordingly. I understand the grader gets pretty good pay, only the sawyer gets the most.

Now you know ;)

well I still cast my vote for midget pole vaulting

800375_ca8c_625x1000.jpg

I can't see the detail well enough to be sure, but that looks like the marker poles off a snowplow. Is one end metal with a flat spot and a hole for a bolt? Perhaps more likely, the flat part is broken off?

That is used to mark the corners of a snow plow, hidden from the driver by the front hood of the truck it is mounted on.
It's the flip stick as Slvrmple72 described, once he mentioned it and I thought about it I do recall the fella calling it that when he gave it to me but I do like the midget pole vault idea.

Walking stick from Trade shows. This past TCIA the one I picked up is Glow in the Dark, Get it under a light and than into the dark you think you have a Light saber. Solid Fiberglass good for telling that stray dog to go away or Die. Both are great for the Stick Trick with a Rope or for Biltmore Stick, checking the hight of any tree

I was given this stick a few years ago and have been using it for a cane pretty much but I was told it was for flipping a rope or something like that but I have no clue so what is it? It's about 36" long and 7/16 diameter.

s3010150.jpg

That is so obvious,,,,It is the stick they measured obamas nose with after the first 100 days.

Snowplow Marker

It is a snowplow marker just as the man said. If you look close you will see where the flat part of the spade broke off where it bolted to the edge of the blade.

It is a snowplow marker just as the man said. If you look close you will see where the flat part of the spade broke off where it bolted to the edge of the blade.

looks like a plow marker to me.
Trust me, it's in my hands and it's not a plow marker, it's a flip stick, there is not any broken flat piece on it and nothing broken off.

larger picture

s3010150.jpg

Last edited:
yep you are right my "B" stick doesn't say jameson on it I think it sas dumbass or something to that sort,

I think this pole is the inside extension of one of thier telscoping poles. I went to the website, nothing cme up for flip stick but a picture of one of the teloscope pole had this in it. Maybe it is and someone just stuck the rubber bumper on the bottom. You can see if you go to the jameson site. I just copied your post yoop cause it has the big pic. I think that is what it is, or was.

Latest posts

Back