Cool Little Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

computeruser

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
This is more or less a "help me spend my money on things I don't really need" sort of thread. So here we go...

I spent some time this past weekend with my Husqvarna 238se cutting up 0-16" diameter storm damaged sugar maple. The little 238se is probably my favorite saw of all I've ever owned or run. I've also enjoyed the rest of that family (242, 42, 246) and the earlier model 44, and I use the heck out of my 543xp. I also had a Shindaiwa 360/377 hybrid I got off a member here many years ago, and then foolishly sold. Had a few 020avp for a while, too, along with a bunch of the horizontal cylinder CS-3xx and 3xxx Echos. And way back when I had a little Homelite Super EZ Auto that I remember punched above its weight by a good margin.

Given fun I had with the 238se, it got me thinking: what other little saws (under 50cc, preferably 45cc or less) have you found particularly satisfying and are something that would be worth me hunting down? I'd prefer chainbrake saws, but would entertain non-chainbrake saws, though I'd probably get less real use out of them.

If you ever want to get into porting the poulan/craftsman 36 and 42cc saws are a great option. P/C's are dirt cheap and the saws themselves are as well. It has been fun experimenting and tuning them up to see what they are capable of.

Zenoah clones kick butt is this size.
My 54.5cc clone is based off a 45cc saw so it's the weight of a 45cc saw. I have no need for anything smaller.
They sell them with heavy 20 inch bars and claim they're 62cc lol but I switch to 15 or 16 inch bars.
They also sell a 38cc clone but I like the 45-55cc ones better.

One of he guys im cutting firewood with showed up with a new 543xp last week, it's not for me. It maybe 1-2 pounds lighter then my saw but is very slow compared to mine.

I'm still liking the little new echo's in 50cc for same weight basically as the 40cc saws. But I have yet to run one stock to know if I would like them that way. 490 4910 501.
Hard to beat for cost. Ported pretty wild too.

I try to keep to mag cased saws though.

4910 261 543 241 pho weights compared how factory weighs them. Can run 3/8LP chain and bars on 50cc ones to save that weight too if wanted.

e4910weightt.jpgh543weight3.jpgs2612weight.jpgs241weight.jpge490picco.jpge49016.jpg

As part of a package deal, I ended up with a Stihl 021. I was thinking home-owner-limbing saw which I would buff up and flip.

But, you know, I am having a hard time letting it go. Have a 16" 3/8LP chain on it, and the damn thing is sweet. Pulls fine, even in beech and yellow birch.

It is a clamshell...but, the old-school clamshell with the aluminum bottom "clam."

Roy

For the small saws you have that can run a 7 tooth rim drive you could consider getting a bar and chain in the new mini .325. Oregon 80txl, Husqvarna sp21, Archer has it as well. Seems to work on a rim drive in my short experiment. I would spend the extra for the sp21 as the drive links are necked down so the bushing should be a bit wider.

I will suggest the dual reed valve Makita 3601 which I can still see for sale. If you could somehow get the two-bar nut variant that would be even better in my estimation. You would be stuck in 3/8lp.

I love the zenoah 40cc saws - Redmax GZ 400/4000 and the multitude of clones sold by everyone from Craftsman to Ryobi. 9 lb powerhead, very strong and responsive. Made in Japan versions are considered higher quality than later chinese models.

For the small saws you have that can run a 7 tooth rim drive you could consider getting a bar and chain in the new mini .325. Oregon 80txl, Husqvarna sp21, Archer has it as well. Seems to work on a rim drive in my short experiment. I would spend the extra for the sp21 as the drive links are necked down so the bushing should be a bit wider.

I will suggest the dual reed valve Makita 3601 which I can still see for sale. If you could somehow get the two-bar nut variant that would be even better in my estimation. You would be stuck in 3/8lp.
I just picked up a sp21 and oregon 80txl so i could compare both. To me they look pretty much the same with a few different markings. Necked down driver are you saying the upper part of the driver where rivets go thru is a hair thicker then the lower part that rides in the bar.

I had a Zenoah redmax 3800 OEM and in clone. Thats about as small as I would want to go. If recall right 38cc pre epa one. Before the later 400 4000 ones.

For the little weight difference I still grab the echo 50cc.

r3800oem.jpgjc3800weight.jpg
jc3800xx.jpg

I just picked up a sp21 and oregon 80txl so i could compare both. To me they look pretty much the same with a few different markings. Necked down driver are you saying the upper part of the driver where rivets go thru is a hair thicker then the lower part that rides in the bar.
We seem to be the only ones on here to test out the Husqvarna 540mk3 in the rear handle format. That could be suggested here. As for the particularly satisfying this size really is in the realm of battery offerings which will go pretty far if one keeps the diameter of work down or the task isn't massive. Not so sure if you push the 45cc+ on that and want a non-objectionable weight.

That is exactly what I mean the Oregon 80txl the drive link is just a flat sheet with the holes and oil features. The Husqvarna and the Archer from the picture on Ebay have the necked down drive links. The Stihl 23rspro code 3690 also has flat drive links where the Husqvarna sp33g has necked down ones but this is not the mini stuff.

Me and Al Smith was talking about you and your saws other day. At CRG FB thread. The 075 076 you brought to IN gtg years back. @computeruser

View attachment 1158347

Those events were fun. I still have a bunch of pictures somewhere on a thumb drive or CD-ROM from those GTGs. They used to be hosted on Photobucket, but it stopped hosting them a long time ago. If I find them, I might re-post some on here!

I can't completely say I regret selling the 075 and 076, since I have no use for them, but I do sometimes miss having them. Those GTGs at Eric's place were, what, 2007-2008? It is funny, the 7900 I brought there for folks to play with was still considered a relatively new model saw back then; it is still around and I ran it last weekend. And the 238se I mentioned earlier I got as NOS from membername "Luke" for $200 after he bought out some old inventory from a small town saw shop. I think he ended up with a NOS 242xp, and that there were a few 298s that came out of that deal.

Hope you and Al are well!!

I have been playing around with the old Husqvarna 36-136-137 and 41-141-142 saws. Fairly common in this area. Lots of OEM and aftermarket parts available on line. Some of the Poulan/Craftsman engines will swap into these frames, so you could put a 46 or even a 50cc engine in them, and I have done so. Light and powerful for a little saw. Cheap fun to rebuild and modify. If it blows up, no big loss. Get another at a yard sale and try again.

We seem to be the only ones on here to test out the Husqvarna 540mk3 in the rear handle format. That could be suggested here. As for the particularly satisfying this size really is in the realm of battery offerings which will go pretty far if one keeps the diameter of work down or the task isn't massive. Not so sure if you push the 45cc+ on that and want a non-objectionable weight.

That is exactly what I mean the Oregon 80txl the drive link is just a flat sheet with the holes and oil features. The Husqvarna and the Archer from the picture on Ebay have the necked down drive links. The Stihl 23rspro code 3690 also has flat drive links where the Husqvarna sp33g has necked down ones but this is not the mini stuff.
Take another look at the Oregon it is thicker

Take a closer look at the oregon i think it is also necked down. It starts to neck down higher up like inline with the rivet holes. Its hard to see but can feel it when i run something sharp across it.

I love the zenoah 40cc saws - Redmax GZ 400/4000 and the multitude of clones sold by everyone from Craftsman to Ryobi. 9 lb powerhead, very strong and responsive. Made in Japan versions are considered higher quality than later chinese models.
The gz400/4000 could take a good beating to. The gz400 that was sold as the ryobi 10532 could be had pretty cheap from the home depot returns and even new it was only 120 for that saw. They got a bad rap for what was a minor fuel line issue.

Latest posts

Back