Can this cylinder be used?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok I'll give it a go, any reason I couldn't just take a little from my car battery?

After charging the battery the acid will have lots of lead sulfate in it. Lead is toxic and the battery acid is hazardous waste. I guess keep it off you skin and not down the drain........

Also, sulfuric acid is not very volatile while hydrochloric is a gas. If you don't rinse well and/or neutralize it will keep doing it's thing on the metals in the cyl., sodium bicarbonate solution (baking soda) rinse followed by water will help with both.

Jacob, I presume this is the crown height in the photo 20mm, the other photo is of the piston that came with the cylinder, it's almost the same apart from the
gap at the bottom of the piston skirt is smaller ( I'm not sure if that will be a problem).
If the seller wont refund the piston & cylinder I might have to try use the piston, anyway I'll send you a pm , cheers

Hmm- looks like that other piston should work ok. You could always open that area up on the side of the skirt, with a file and some sandpaper. It's not a big deal really.

When did they stop using Sulfuric Acid in Batteries?

We use Muriatic Acid to clean Sidewalks...

Hydrochloric Acid for metal transfer as I recall.

Sulfuric Acid- Used in batteries, Dissolves steel, wouldnt use it to remove transfer, even at the usual ~35% concentration in a battery.

The olympk is now back together running like new again, thanks for all the suggestions, special thanks to Jacob for help with the cylinder.

81cc with a new bar & chain fitted, it should be a fun firewood saw :greenchainsaw:

1Large-19.jpg

I hope to get some more of these Olympk/ Oleo Mac's, built very solid & easy to work on, anyway it was good to save it from the scrapheap.
It would still be going if the last owner didn't forget to add oil to the fuel.

Latest posts

Back