can tree work be learned??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sometimes I still wonder how I ever got passed the fear in my earlier learning days. I can remember my knee bounce so hard.....mmannnn....I thought for SURE I was a goner.But the old man told me I was ok....and you need to go higher.LOL...There was times that I told myself that I would finish the tree I was in and then I was through forever. But I always came back the next day. Seems to me that having the desire to learn is the first thing but having the guts to get up there and actually learn something is where people start getting weeded out real fast.

R.I.P. John Bradstock "A good teacher and a great tree man"

Treework can be learned???? Depends on to what extent. If anyone here thinks he knows everything about trees, climbing, rigging, biology, physics, equipment, (etc.) he is sadly mistaken, and arrogantly misguided, and headed for disaster.

I have been in the business for many years, and I still learn something with every climb. I study on the way up, learn more from the character of the tree, the nature of the tree's give with the first cut, what the tree will let me do, what it won't let me do, how it reacts to my weight, how it reacts to rigging, which way it moves naturally, which way it will let me move it.

Most experienced tree climbers do the same thing, without even realizing it. A good climber learns to negotiate between speed and safety, as well as circumstance and abilities, and a hundred other negotiations automatically without making a conscious effort to do so.

The basics can be taught, the artistry, and balance can only be learned. When you stop learning, quit climbing...or you won't be around long.

I have been climbing over 30 years, I enjoy it, hate it, curse it, praise it, love it...every day. There is an attitude, and aptitude for tree work that is some type of genetic defect that most of the population just doesn't have.

I have trained quite a few people...(some could hardly spell their name, some college grads). Either you get it or you don't. Is "tree work" something that can be taught? I say kinda. One of the best men I ever worked with fell into the category of "simple" yet he could do trees.

I would have to yes to the right people. like you have said "there are some that can and some that can't" and then there are the others " What we have here is failure to communicate "

Ya got to want it! Really, really, really, really, really want it.

talkin about my country.....

here the problem is "do someone really really really want to teach?"

or only for money???

when i was beginnin tree work (not that long ago...seven years now)...was really hard tryng to find and old dog ready to teach his tricks....

seems like all the superheroes here want to keep their secrets to their graves...oh .....unless you don't wanna work a few months for a coke and an hamburger......

but that's right...when you really really really want it...and put all your effort in it...at the end you can make it.
I've been lucky and found some help...still got a lot to learn...but I'm doing my job now.....nah...don't even think is a job..

talkin about my country.....

here the problem is "do someone really really really want to teach?"

or only for money???

when i was beginnin tree work (not that long ago...seven years now)...was really hard tryng to find and old dog ready to teach his tricks....

seems like all the superheroes here want to keep their secrets to their graves.

That's Europe for ya, We love to teach here!
Jeff :clap:

I think that just about anyone can be taught with time , but for me I had my brother working for me when he was out of college and he was always a great worker , naturally athletic and smart , but was one of the most careless people that I have ever been around .. He was always getting hurt somehow , never major but I just could never teach him to be safe and work hard , and I think the reason was it was never something he actually cared enough to learn for his own self he knew that he was just passing through.. And in the time he helped out he NEVER got anyone else hurt , So it was tough for me to get rid of him because I had no good reason but I always worried about having him on the job ...Now we laugh about all the smashed fingers and head cuts but back then wow was he sketchy ...

I think that just about anyone can be taught with time , but for me I had my brother working for me when he was out of college and he was always a great worker , naturally athletic and smart , but was one of the most careless people that I have ever been around .. He was always getting hurt somehow , never major but I just could never teach him to be safe and work hard , and I think the reason was it was never something he actually cared enough to learn for his own self he knew that he was just passing through.. And in the time he helped out he NEVER got anyone else hurt , So it was tough for me to get rid of him because I had no good reason but I always worried about having him on the job ...Now we laugh about all the smashed fingers and head cuts but back then wow was he sketchy ...

So, he is not sketchy now?
Jeff :msp_rolleyes:

I think the key is a natural interest if the groundie is all in your face saying whats this and whats that and how do you do that wow thats cool could you show me ? Then you have a keeper . Its a natural inquisitive they have or they dont.

I think the key is a natural interest if the groundie is all in your face saying whats this and whats that and how do you do that wow thats cool could you show me ? Then you have a keeper . Its a natural inquisitive they have or they dont.

Then you have the ones that keep blabbering on about what's this and what's that.. what kind of tree is that.. you'll have to show me those knots sometime, etc., etc. When all the while, you know full well that they aint never gonna make it and aren't cut out for the work, and maybe they should just get to raking the ####ing yard already! The annoying distraction type.. kinda like a tree mosquito.

I know it can be learned, as I was taught. All depends on the student and the teacher. Some guys have a natural way of educating with out teaching. The guy who taught me was old school of course, but the most important thing he preached was to pick up and learn the new systems, he loved the new gadgets that made his life easier. Then I worked under another guy who did a lot of teaching, but very little educating. His main philosophy was "I cant show all my stuff, cause then you'll now my tricks, you gotta learn that for yourself" he would show you enough to be dangerous, pass or fail with him. I didn't learn much, other than he was a DB and I was glad to be alive!
Some students are natural's and eat it up while others learn because they need a check. Some you don't need to teach at all, ask em , they will tell ya! Get insulted when you give them pointers " I know how to run a saw man!" Then why does it look like you been 4 wheeling with it!
You guys are right, guys out there been doing it a couple years and think they are gods gift to trees, then ya watch em and just scratch your head in amazement at how they work.

Thats mostly true and all good AS LONG as they are dragging brush, moving wood, filling saws, and raking AT THE SAME TIME. What I hate is the guy who just stands there and thinks other people are gonna do the work while he is "learning". I have seen guys who I would swear are just looking for a way...anyway...to avoid actual phsyical work.

Then you have the ones that keep blabbering on about what's this and what's that.. what kind of tree is that.. you'll have to show me those knots sometime, etc., etc. When all the while, you know full well that they aint never gonna make it and aren't cut out for the work, and maybe they should just get to raking the ####ing yard already! The annoying distraction type.. kinda like a tree mosquito.

Yeah those ones are just distracting you so they can ####around and kill time!

thats mostly true and all good as long as they are dragging brush, moving wood, filling saws, and raking at the same time. What i hate is the guy who just stands there and thinks other people are gonna do the work while he is "learning". I have seen guys who i would swear are just looking for a way...anyway...to avoid actual phsyical work.

true!!!!

Latest posts

Back