Can you identify this?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sapling

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
We were looking at a condo site today and I noticed this 'tree' outside one of the buildings. All of the branch ends are pointed like thorns and have these little clusters of round 'things' (thats my technical term) on them. I saw another similar to this one which had many large thorns and small orange berries. And ideas?

Here's some photo's of a mostly dead Hawthorn at my place.

hawthorn004.jpg

hawthorn005.jpg

hawthorn001.jpg

hawthorn003.jpg

It could be Pyracantha coccinea, too. Do the 'red thingys' look like miniature apples? If yes, hawthorn. If no, probably Pyracantha. Also, are the fruits truly red or are they scarlet/orange? Pyracanthas lean toward the scarlet/orange.

Neither hawthorn or Pyracantha.

The plant in question has opposite branching. That elimates everything except for the genuses (sp?)
Acer (maple)
Fraxinus (ash)
Cornus (dogwood)
Aesculus (buckeye)

or a shrub from the family Caprifoliaceae

I think we can rule out ash, dogwood, and buckeye. It is not a maple that I can find, but it does look a little maple-like.

I'll look in another book at the office tomorrow and get back to it.

I was thinking Buckthorn - it is not opposite, but it sometimes looks close. However, this is definately opposite branched so not buckthorn either.

Prickly ash is not really an ash. It is Zanthoxylum americanum.

I looked it up, and it is altnerate branching, so I don't think this is it either.

Oops... I didn't describe the choices of opposite-branched options right. It is not just Fraxinus spp. But the entier Oleaceae family.

My best guess right now is that it is a privit (Ligustrum spp.), but I am not entirely convinced of that...

The only privet I've ever used did not have thorns and the flowers appeared more at the leaf axils than terminally. I'm not saying it's not a privet, but if it is, it isn't one of the common forms.

Last edited:
I found out that the one with the orange berries is Sea Buckthorn (hippophae rhamnoides).
The other, which I have posted pictures of, looks somewhat similar as far as thorns on it go.

Maybe it is the male version of the same bush (I just read that the orange berries overwinter on the female shrubs).....? I will have to go back and look at it. I will take a sample of the one with the orange berries and compare (they weren't close to each other when I first looked at them).

listen for the buzz of pollinating insects during the coming weeks, a sure sign spring has arrived in Calgary, the fruit tastes best after the first frost in the fall. It may also be russet buffalo berry, but not likely, sheperdia canadensis is less showy than argentea

We did some hiking in the Banff area this past weekend and sure enough tons of Buffalo berry. You were right....looks identical. See attached photo.....

Lets hope spring is coming. We have had a slow start to the season. Thanks!!

Back