Seeking advice for contacting an arborist/tree safety

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TonyGTrees

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello All

My sister who lives in Long Island, NY has a large DEAD pine tree right next to her hoarse. It's about three times the height of her house. . There is one small branch at the top. All the other branches have been cut. It's been dead for about two years (I don't have a photo).

The guy who takes care of her trees and landscaping says the tree is no threat and that she can leave it. He says he has been doing tree work since he was a teenager (he's in his 50s), but he is not a certified arborist. I'm advising her to contact an ISA certified arborist with a tree risk assessment qualification to evaluate this tree and not rely on her landscaper. I'm concerned that this tree could fall on her house and kill her. Am I overreacting? Just the idea of leaving a big dead tree next to one's home seems like a bad idea, though, again, maybe I'm wrong. If another pro is needed, is a certified arborist enough, or is a tree risk assessment qualification important?

Many thanks.

Anthony Giorgianni

Back