Can you run fewer cutters with greenteeth?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MOE

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I just bought my first grinder it's a used 1665 Rayco with greenteeth. I'm waiting for my insurance before using it. The wheel holds 32 cutters, (16 pockets). There are currently 10 pockets with 20 teeth. There are no inner diameter pockets just the empty bolt holes. The machine was obviously used this way. Is this a normal practice? There are only two straight pockets the rest are right and left pairs. Is this OK? It seems to me like it would work fine with only right and left pockets, anyone run rights and lefts? I know this may seem elementry to the experienced grinders but any help is appriciated. thanks

It should show you the setup in the manuel. You run mostly lefts and rights and two straights. The straights will be on opposite sides of the wheel and across from each other - ie 12 and 6 o'clock. At three o'clock you will have a set of double lefts and at 9 o'clock you will have a set of double rights.

12 o'clock right and straight
3 o'clock two lefts
6 o'clock straight and left
9 o'clock two rights

I don't run my wheels without a full set. I find if I do I get more pocket rub/wear. A lot of people like to run less teeth, this does work better if you are running dull teeth.

I don't run green teeth but I am sure there are a lot of people here that do.

This is the setup that works for me. I am sure you will find a lot of different opinions on this.

Latest posts

Back