Can you use an MS250 on a vertical style Mini Mill after muffler mod and PICCO conversion?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adventure Spencer

Reaction score
I have a stock MS250, and I was thinking about running it on vertical mount mini mill to square off some cants out of 14"-16" diameter trees. I know its under powered right , and I am definitely modding the muffler, but what do you guys think I would gain anything by doing a PICCO conversion with a full chisel?

Not a good idea unless you don't really care much for the saw. Plastic cased saws are not designed for that kind of use. Milling really loads down a saw and with an inboard clutch surrounded by plastic that is asking for trouble, especially with an underpowered saw like a 250.

Picco helps (angled at 10 degrees), but a muff mod may also increase heat, which wouldn't be good in a long mill cut.

You shouldn't even attempt such a wide cut in hardwood, and you're probably still under-powered in soft.

If you want to ask more, go to the "Milling" section.
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/forums/milling-saw-mills.62/
Mostly agree except muff mods tend to let heat out, not build more. Still, a plastic case and inboard clutch on a way underpowered saw for the task described will almost certainly mean a short life. Maybe we could start a pool on how many cuts it'll survive?

I have seen 4 of these clamshell-based saws literally melted to puddles near the muffler seams and next to the clutch drum plastic.

They weren't used for milling, but they were used long and hard by pro tree crews.

As for Stihl saws that would hold up and are in the $200-$300 realm used, an 028 or 028 super is a workhorse and magnesium cased, but old and tougher to find parts for. An 034 would also be a decent choice.

I have seen Husqvarna 61/162/266/268/272 and Jonsereds 625/630/670 saws for so cheap it is ridiculous. You could literally sell your MS250 and buy one of those Husky/J'red variants and probably be very pleased with the power outcome and reliability on a small vertical mill. These saws also have all magnesium cases, a real pro-grade bar oiler, and everything is easy to work on and all parts are available on aftermarket and many NOS as well.

I actually sold a nice 162se to a guy for the purpose of a small mill and he has been very happy.

Also, if you want more power, I believe all of these saws share the same crank and stroke, and can be upgraded to a 272xp piston and cylinder using a 272 carb and intake. I think I paid ~$115 for an OEM 272 cylinder and piston kit from Spike 60 for my J'red 630.

I have seen 4 of these clamshell-based saws literally melted to puddles near the muffler seams and next to the clutch drum plastic.

They weren't used for milling, but they were used long and hard by pro tree crews.

As for Stihl saws that would hold up and are in the $200-$300 realm used, an 028 or 028 super is a workhorse and magnesium cased, but old and tougher to find parts for. An 034 would also be a decent choice.

I have seen Husqvarna 61/162/266/268/272 and Jonsereds 625/630/670 saws for so cheap it is ridiculous. You could literally sell your MS250 and buy one of those Husky/J'red variants and probably be very pleased with the power outcome and reliability on a small vertical mill. These saws also have all magnesium cases, a real pro-grade bar oiler, and everything is easy to work on and all parts are available on aftermarket and many NOS as well.

I actually sold a nice 162se to a guy for the purpose of a small mill and he has been very happy.

Also, if you want more power, I believe all of these saws share the same crank and stroke, and can be upgraded to a 272xp piston and cylinder using a 272 carb and intake. I think I paid ~$115 for an OEM 272 cylinder and piston kit from Spike 60 for my J'red 630.

Thanks for your reply. What about a J'red 920? It's older, but I know where I can pick one up for $150.

Thanks for your reply. What about a J'red 920? It's older, but I know where I can pick one up for $150.

You are very welcome!

From what I understand, the Jonsereds 920 is a good saw, but parts are tough to find used and almost impossible to find new. I think the ignitions are a weak point from others experiences.

The other side of things is for $150, it is hard to go too wrong....

Maybe offer $100 - $125?

Latest posts

Back