Cankers on cherry trees (warning: large pics)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djordan

Reaction score
Hello,
I have a couple of cherry trees (at least I think that's what they are) in my backyard that have some kind of cankers growing on them.
Is this something that can be treated? Is there any hope for these trees or should I just have them cut down? Also, is this something that can spread to other trees in my yard?
If these can be treated, what sort of professional should I look for? Everyone I found under "tree service" in the phone book seems to just do removal & pruning.

Thanks in advance,
Dana

010400047dk.jpg

010400105pu.jpg

Yes those are big pics all right. I don't see canker; pretty well-sealed old pruning wounds. The black stuff around the one looks like some kind of infection; i'd scrub it with a stiff brush and very dilute vinegar, to get a good look at it. If the inner bark is alive, just let it be while boosting the roots by fertilizing per a soil test, mulching and irrigation in drought.

See Insects and Diseases in the link below.

treeseer said:
Yes those are big pics all right. I don't see canker; pretty well-sealed old pruning wounds. The black stuff around the one looks like some kind of infection; i'd scrub it with a stiff brush and very dilute vinegar, to get a good look at it. If the inner bark is alive, just let it be while boosting the roots by fertilizing per a soil test, mulching and irrigation in drought.

See Insects and Diseases in the link below.

Thanks for the reply. Are you sure this is a pruning wound? It's about 4 feet long. There are similar growths all over the tree.
01040010520fs.jpg

djordan said:
Thanks for the reply. Are you sure this is a pruning wound? It's about 4 feet long. There are similar growths all over the tree.

I'm sure it's not, but it looks like good callus "scar tissue" growth around an old infection which is not (too?) active, so I'd say it's not bad.

What kind of cherry is it--Prunus _______________?

Could be someone spiked them to do a prune, and slipped. (Probably some utility guy doing a buzz job.) :)

It does appear to be closing up well.

treeseer said:
What kind of cherry is it--Prunus _______________?
I have no idea what kind it is. I am completely tree-illiterate. I guessed that it's some kind of cherry based on pictures I found by searching with Google.

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll just keep an eye on it and see if it gets worse.

Brett's theory is valid. Keep your eye on it, and take care of the roots.

First picture almost looks like someone put some wound sealer (tar) on the cuts and the tree is finally growing over it. What does the rest of the tree look like? Base of the tree, top of the tree?

rebelman said:
yeah post more pics. I'm thinking prune the cracked codominant stem away next winter.

radical suggestion with such little info.

reducing codoms is better than removing for longterm structure.

treeman82 said:
Unless I am mistaken, that is a black birch.

It is easy to cofuse the 2 genera; I ID'd a dying tree as a black cherry and lined up a woodworker to make a mantle out of it. turned out to be a birch. :blush:

:monkey:

Latest posts

Back