Can't trim trees when the leaves are on them...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wounds made in spring close faster than any other season.

Dujesieffken

MNidsummer is my favorite time to prune.

maybe it's a bug thing, waiting til fall...:confused:

They are talking about it being bad for the leaves. The only thing I can think of is the old study that showed lower bud starch on trees pruned leaf on vs dormant

Don't prune while leaves are falling or forming (Shigo...I can elaborate). Outside of that anytime other than that is fair game.

I will generally do light pruning throughout spring to winter. whole yard trims with complete deadwooding, weight reduction etc., try to set up for fall - mid august to leaf drop. major weight/ crown reductions in winter. keeps my schedule full too. fall is way busy though.

Don't prune while leaves are falling or forming (Shigo...I can elaborate). Outside of that anytime other than that is fair game.

I have never heard of not pruning while the leaves are falling. But yes, pruning while trees are under the stresses of putting out new growth in spring is a no no. What is the problem with during leaf fall?

1. Wounds made in spring (leaf expansion) have moderate cambial dieback, small columns of infection, and large ribs of callus and woundwood.

2. Wounds made during the summer or midgrowth period usually have very little cambial dieback and moderate growth of callus and woundwood.

3. Wounds inflicted in fall or after the growing period, will have a large area of cambial dieback and very small ribs of callus and woundwood.

Shigo, Modern Arboriculture, pg. 145

Also I think in fall defense systems are more susceptable to attack and pathogens are abundant and virulent.

In the spring while leaves are forming cambium is growing and bark can slip while being climbed on causing damage/injury.

1. Wounds made in spring (leaf expansion) have moderate cambial dieback, small columns of infection, and large ribs of callus and woundwood.

2. Wounds made during the summer or midgrowth period usually have very little cambial dieback and moderate growth of callus and woundwood.

3. Wounds inflicted in fall or after the growing period, will have a large area of cambial dieback and very small ribs of callus and woundwood.

Shigo, Modern Arboriculture, pg. 145

Also I think in fall defense systems are more susceptable to attack and pathogens are abundant and virulent.

In the spring while leaves are forming cambium is growing and bark can slip while being climbed on causing damage/injury.

Good post,TV, still depends on the species.
Jeff :)

1. Wounds made in spring (leaf expansion) ....... large ribs of callus and woundwood.

Although you know healing is an inappropriate word in relationship to tree wound closure....you are essentially saying the same thing.

If you want to hash that out for the thousandth time you can play this one by yourself.

Back