Carabiner: captured eye warning

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheTreeSpyder

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
One of the best things i ever did was to commit to carry a few slings, krabs and maybe pulley up with me aloft.
Previously, i only had them sent up for special purposes; so decision to use/play/expand had extra deployment time built in/weighing it down.
Carried up with me; i found tons of uses and education waiting; and almost everything changed.
Systems became reusable modular connections and specialties
WARNING >> From the school of hard knocks ;
University of: OJTSOSMF (On the Job Training, Sink Or Swim Mo'Fo)
krab_loading_captive.png

An easy solution is to girth hitch it.

Please see that if girth hitched where stitches are has the same exact (d)effect that i'm trying to warn against.
If girthed to karabiner/carabiner/krab, and 1 leg of sling wanders into krab as last picture shows;
you aren't pulling on girth normally when loaded, rather trying to split/shear girth apart across krab.
This will not load normally; might work here and there; but are asking for fail at the most loaded moment(where it mite have held okay in normal loading/ was not allowed to work correctly).
Also, if girthed; is weaker than straight pull/no knots, has extra stiff/leverage-able area, and sling can't rotate around naturally for most immed. balanced loading on legs of sling and long term wearing of sling.
The flat rope/webbing should be relaxed at end of it's workday as any rope, and could very well be locked on the krab at this point.
The girth can give some spacer under krab, allowing easier inspection/ closer to a quick-draw sling, that is stiff and closed along length purposely so this mechanically is prevented form happening.
http://www.sherrilltree.com/petzl-spirit-express-quickdraw-12-cm
Actually i go with Round Turn for some lock on krab w/smaller dyneema slings, no other bends from knot, and allows rotating of sling for even wear.
And won't have the fail highlighted hear.
i've used krabs in all phases, climbing, rigging and dragging on ground etc.
A quick, modular link is a quick modular link; very serivce-able, flexible usage and quick pro solution!
In using these tools, i only regretted not taking the plunge and using them earlier!

Latest posts

Back