carabiners

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, i got one at the flea market the other day for 6 bucks.I used it to hang junk from the rafters in my garage.

Oh.do you mean one for your climbline?
How much is it worth to you to not do a freefall backflip out of a tree?

Seriously,If you want to save $$, buy cheaper rakes , trash cans,tarps ,etc.
Don't skimp on such an important pc.

Last edited:
So many other ways to cut corners, stihlman 95. I suggest you buy from a reputable arborist supply, some are sponsors on this site. Less than $20.00 to keep you safely aloft is a good price.

dont be cheap

does anyone have a cheap but good double locking carabiner?

You said double locking...
You do mean one that takes three moves to open, that includes opening the gate.
Minimum breaking strength 5000 pounds so go 24kn or better.
Remember a chain is only as strong as its weakest link so I agree with the other guys and make your weakest (cheapest link) a rake or tarp not your personal safety gear. . Climb safe and go home at the end of the day.

If you're talking about carabiners for climbing I prefer aluminum Petzl Triact-lock. Cost about $15. Not a lot to spend on something that your life is depending on.

31OnLBKf05L._AA300_.jpg

that is cheap as hell. the ones i was looking at was 30 or 40 bucks. thats a good deal.whats the weight limit on them?

Yes, i got one at the flea market the other day for 6 bucks.I used it to hang junk from the rafters in my garage

Oh.do you mean one for your climbline?
How much is it worth to you to not do a freefall backflip out of a tree?

Seriously,If you want to save $$, buy cheaper rakes , trash cans,tarps ,etc.
Don't skimp on such an important pc.

your life is worth it!

:peace:thanks for the site and info. im buying one and some snakebite line when i get my taxes back. it will be worth it i hoping. thanks guys

Stihlman, if you need to watch your expenses that carefully the Snakebite and SRT might not be the way to go. Snakebite is only good for SRT. If you climb SRT you will also have to buy some ascenders and descenders, and they are not cheap ($55 to $70 each for ascenders and you need 2, $100 or more for a descender).

If you need to watch your coins I suggest you start climbing on DdRT (Dynamic Rope). Then you only need rope, saddle, and cambium protector / friction saver.

DdRT is also safer, because (1) someone can belay you from the ground and (2) you dont have to make a change from ascender to descender when you get ready to come down. Safer, that is, assuming you tie your friction hitches correctly.

If you want to start out inexpensively, start out DdRT. There are also some less expensive but still very safe ropes for DdRT if you do not plan to progress to SRT. If you are sure you are going to progress to SRT when you get the money for ascenders and descenders, start out with Blaze or PI, which are ascender freindly but can be used DdRT. A piece or two of blaze or PI will not be wasted if you go on to ascenders and Snakebite later, they can always be useful later on for "Motion Lanyards" or spider lines to double crotch, limb walk, or just advance tie in points.

Last edited:
Stihlman, if you need to watch your expenses that carefully the Snakebite and SRT might not be the way to go. Snakebite is only good for SRT. If you climb SRT you will also have to buy some ascenders and descenders, and they are not cheap ($55 to $70 each for ascenders and you need 2, $100 or more for a descender).

If you need to watch your coins I suggest you start climbing on DdRT (Dynamic Rope). Then you only need rope, saddle, and cambium protector / friction saver.

DdRT is also safer, because (1) someone can belay you from the ground and (2) you dont have to make a change from ascender to descender when you get ready to come down. Safer, that is, assuming you tie your friction hitches correctly.

If you want to start out inexpensively, start out DdRT. There are also some less expensive but still very safe ropes for DdRT if you do not plan to progress to SRT. If you are sure you are going to progress to SRT when you get the money for ascenders and descenders, start out with Blaze or PI, which are ascender freindly but can be used DdRT. A piece or two of blaze or PI will not be wasted if you go on to ascenders and Snakebite later, they can always be useful later on for "Motion Lanyards" or spider lines to double crotch, limb walk, or just advance tie in points.

Dynamic is the stretchy stuff, I think you meant "Static", yes?

"Biners"
Don`t ever skimp on your safety gear, if you do not value your life and limb sit in the corner then. I would like to stress to all new and lifelong veteran climbers that your climbing clip is not one to ignore. Take the extra few seconds to always double-check your locking mechanisms on all lifeline/harness connections. Also, remember to ALWAYS remain tied in, no matter what you believe is an exception, there is no exception to this RULE. Acrobatics are fine with me if the acrobat is safe, there is a library of stories related to injuries and fatalities related to this rule being breached within 1second of breach.ALWAYS USE multi locking carabiners for lifeline.

Back