Carb question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hedge Hacker

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Ok this may be a silly question. I know that a saw's carb has a low and a high screw for adjusting the carb. Does that mean that the saw can run rich at idle an too lean in the wood? I have a saw that tends to flood when started but never really strokes out when revved out of the wood. This concerns me since the saw is an old saw. The guy i bought it from was from oregon and im sure the altitude is higher than here in illinois. I know that this can play a factor. Any information on this would be useful.

Looks like you are running too rich.If adjustment dont dont make difference,then be sure air cleaner is clean,look at inlet needle lever to be ste correctly and look at inlet condition too.

Yes thats my thought too. But when the saw is out of the wood it doesnt seem rich. Thats why i was wondering if it can be rich on the idle end and lean on the high end.

Yes thats my thought too. But when the saw is out of the wood it doesnt seem rich. Thats why i was wondering if it can be rich on the idle end and lean on the high end.

Sure it can. In simple terms, your idle is controlled by your idle screw. Once you start revving, the H&L take over. If your idle is set too rich , it will be rich when idling - if your H and/or L are set lean it will be lean in the wood.

If you're having issues, id recommend resetting the screws completely & starting a proper carb tune, vs. trying to readjust to compensate. Especially since, as you've noted the saw was originally tuned at a different altitude/humidity level. Pay special attention to going back & tuning the idle after you have the H & more importantly L just right. This usually gets thrown out of whack.

The Madsen's carb tuning page is an excellent place to start: Carb Tuning Steps HERE

Well i adjusted my first carn today. Everything went ok. I took your guys advice and i think im in the clear. I adjusted it before i cut any wood. It fires right up without flooding. I took it out to the wood after i adjusted it there and fine tuned it while i was cutting. I think its right where she needs to be. Thanks for all your help. I owe you guys one:cheers:

Back