Carb tuning my 044

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Gordon

Arborist Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys, I’m just wondering when it comes to carb tuning, this could go for any saw for that matter
I find myself always fine tuning the carb on my 044, it’s early model stock 044 With a zama carb and a modded muffler
I’ve recently cleaned the carb and replaced the fuel filter and went back to factory setting on the jets
It could be me just being too picky instead of just picking up the saw and using it no matter how it runs
I can usually get it dialed in pretty good and runs great, but it’s usually the low speed jet and idle speed that I’m playing with
Now without going into deep space nine could there be another problem I’m over seeing or is it just me being too picky on how it runs??
Thanx

Some saws/carbs are finicky. Some saw tuners are finicky, too. Haha. On fresh rebuilds, I’ll get it very close to perfect and then cut wood. Then, after a few heat cycles and/or when it just needs it, I’ll tune it again.

Yes you can tune around air leaks but usually the carb is far outta spec and there are other issues with the saw.

I’d vac test the saw. I’m usually playing with the H depending on ambient temp, elevation and bar size/wood load. Part of my OCD. The idle shouldn’t need any adjusting with the exception of having to fatten it up a bit when hot if it doesn’t return to idle fast enough.

I bet you have a leak.

Like you guys say I may have a vacuum leak going on
I can tune my saw in my shop, Get it running really good, the saw can sit there for 1/2 hour idling, The throttle response is bang on too, but usually after I run it through a couple logs (Heat cycles) things change a little bit. That’s usually when I have to adjust it
On a side note do you guys have any suggestions on a wireless tach I could buy from amazon or eBay, I’m not looking to spend $100s of dollars, but I just want something That I can be a little more accurate with

Lol don’t know how hot it’s getting
The air temp around where I live is between 30-40 degree When I’m playing with it plus the garage door is open
It’s not like I start it and leave and come back in 1/2 an hour And pray it didn’t burn up....I guess I didn’t explain myself right
I start it let it run but play with it a bit and let it idle After
I might of been Slightly exaggerated on the idling for 1/2 hour I guess lol
whoops

Like you guys say I may have a vacuum leak going on
I can tune my saw in my shop, Get it running really good, the saw can sit there for 1/2 hour idling, The throttle response is bang on too, but usually after I run it through a couple logs (Heat cycles) things change a little bit. That’s usually when I have to adjust it
On a side note do you guys have any suggestions on a wireless tach I could buy from amazon or eBay, I’m not looking to spend $100s of dollars, but I just want something That I can be a little more accurate with
The FastTach is decent.

your settings are going to be different tuning after idling for awhile without any load being put on the engine. extended idling will tend to load the bottom end and takes a few cuts to burn it all out. Do your tune while cutting wood and see if it hold a tune during your wood cutting session....then run it on a similar day to cut similar amount of wood and see how your tune holds up....

good luck
the can

I did not put a Carb kit in, I did take everything apart with caution, and put it back together with out ruining anything
From what I experienced today while I was cutting, the idle would start to race and not come back down on it’s own so i’d turn it down and then readjust the low
I’m starting to think that there really is a vacuum leak and it worsens when it get hot after a few cuts
Before I cause some real damage I think I’m going to park it for now and investigate It more, there’s no use being ignorant
I have other saw to use anyways
Thanks for all the input and I’ll keep you all posted on what I find

Took it apart this morning and found a vacuum leak between the carb and the intake boot
Sprayed brake clean between the 2 and the saw died, so I’ll start by fixing that problem and I’ll grab a carb kit at the same time and try that
Might not be “the” problem but it’s a problem! Lol

Latest posts

Back