Care of Pin Oaks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Globally

Reaction score
I have four pin oak trees in my front yard. Each tree is 60 feet tall. I would like to know how to prune these trees so as to keep the branches off the top of the house and from getting too far over the driveway. Can I prune the ends of the branches, or do I need to take the entire branch of a particular problem limb? I have pruned the lower branches - at the trunk - over the years, so that the lowest limb is about 10 feet off the ground. I have also had these trees professionally pruned and thinned twice in the past 12 years.

I have also had these trees professionally pruned and thinned twice in the past 12 years.
Branches can be shortened, as long as the remaining leaves make enough energy to keep the branch alive, as your professional pruners should know.

What do they say about this?

The tree service professionals I have hired seem to be more inclined to take entire branches, but that leaves fairly large gaps in the symmetrical appearance of the trees. Thank you for your help on this.

Ok, thanks for the info. I haven't had any diseases on these trees. Haven't noticed any branches falling off that were previously shortened. I'll try to get some photos posted. Many thanks.

Latest posts

Back