Carlton 4400 Stumpgrinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigBeav

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am having trouble with the hydraulic brake on my 4400 stumpgrinder. A year ago, around 500 operating hours on my machine, I had to replace the motor after it was found that the shaft was worn. Now, a year later, I am having the same problem with the hydraulic brake. The Carlton dealership could not fix the problem and the motor has been sent to the manufacturer. It's been close to 2 weeks and I have not been able to work. Has anyone had a problem like this before?

Sorry to hear about your downtime. I would be leaning heavily on the dealer to get a reason why it is not back. In fact, I would probably be calling Carlton myself to light a fire under them. Two weeks is just not acceptable.
This downtime issue is one of the major reasons I did not buy a Carlton machine. They have no dealer here. They told me they could handle parts and other problems promptly from the factory. Yeh, right. Anyting longer than next day, when I am down, is way too long. If I were you, I would start raising H-LL with someone. Hope you get up and running soon.
Jeff

I am having trouble with the hydraulic brake on my 4400 stumpgrinder. A year ago, around 500 operating hours on my machine, I had to replace the motor after it was found that the shaft was worn. Now, a year later, I am having the same problem with the hydraulic brake. The Carlton dealership could not fix the problem and the motor has been sent to the manufacturer. It's been close to 2 weeks and I have not been able to work. Has anyone had a problem like this before?

It's BS and I know they're going to just fix the part without actually figuring out the cause of the problem. I plan on calling some people, writing letters, anything it takes to get some proper customer care...fortunantly, or unfortunantly, it's been slow down here, so I have'nt had to turn away too many jobs. Thanks for the reply Jeff.

Al

That doesn't seem right,especially from Carlton.I've never had anything but good experiences with them.I only live about 30 minutes from their shop...Who are you dealing with over there?If it is anyone other than John Byrd,I would skip right over them and ask to speak to him and let him in on what is happening.If you are dealing with him already,this is the first time I've heard of someone having trouble with Carlton...Personally,even though the Carlton shop is so close,I have had two Bandit chippers since they've been building chippers.I choose the Bandit because the Carlton chippers are basically clones of the Bandits.Bandit has been in the business much longer,and I'm still not sold on their chipper,but I've had a Carlton 2500 stump grinder for four years now,just over 1500 hours,knock on wood,no major problems yet

I've been working with an independant dealer, Master's Equipment, and have been fairly pleased with their service up until now. Unfortunantly, they only have one mechanic, and he can only do the basics. I would say that is the only problem with Carlton. They rely to much on their independent dealers that usually sell Carltons on the side. Seems like most of the work they can't do "in-house". I do like the machine, and for the most part it's held up. But, I might have to consider a Vermeer next time because of the response I am getting from Carlton. I will try and contact this person at Carlton and see if he can help. Good to hear that your machine has been reliable. I have a feeling my machine was made on a Friday.

I noticed i was trying to steal the thread sorry.

Last edited:
That doesn't seem right,especially from Carlton.I've never had anything but good experiences with them.I only live about 30 minutes from their shop...Who are you dealing with over there?If it is anyone other than John Byrd,I would skip right over them and ask to speak to him and let him in on what is happening.If you are dealing with him already,this is the first time I've heard of someone having trouble with Carlton...Personally,even though the Carlton shop is so close,I have had two Bandit chippers since they've been building chippers.I choose the Bandit because the Carlton chippers are basically clones of the Bandits.Bandit has been in the business much longer,and I'm still not sold on their chipper,but I've had a Carlton 2500 stump grinder for four years now,just over 1500 hours,knock on wood,no major problems yet

Contacted John at Carlton and was a big help. He was able to get things moving and is sending a motor from Carlton right away. Glad I called him and thanks for the help!

Contacted John at Carlton and was a big help. He was able to get things moving and is sending a motor from Carlton right away. Glad I called him and thanks for the help!

No problem,glad I could help.I can feel your pain from here.Downtime sucks :( .When I have trouble with either a chipper or stump grinder,I don't even screw around with anyone else anymore.I go straight to John.You are not the first person I have heard of to have stump grinder problems.I guess occasionally they miss.

Latest posts

Back