Carlton chains

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Serg, I don't think it is harder, Matt's, Bob's and Laurie's experience is that the Carlton semi holds up better when cutting our timber.
Matt made up a loop of half Carlton and half Stihl just as a test and the Carlton section held up better. He flat out reckons that the Stihl is softer, and he sells and uses a lot of chain.
I'll try and find the post.

hmmmmm i wonder if harder is becoming more brittle??? i wonder if there is combination between hardness and ductileness is the answer... but as you said with bobl tesing the stihl was softer...

do you know how he did it?

if the chroming on the stihl was harder would that show up on a tester or would it be to thin and only the tooth material and its heattreating show up?

maybe the sthil stuff is TOO hard for our hard woods????

Serg

I've read that Carlton went into business making chain in the 50s. At one time they were a major supplier to Bob McCulloch when he built quality chainsaws. May be their headed south just like Mc did, maybe not. Their claim to fame is their sharp right of the box. I make up my own Carlton loops, can't compare them to anything else, that's all I've ever used

I agree they are good chains! I run them 80% of the time. As for them being soft , whatever !!! They seem to be harder to file and I do go through files more than I did with oregon chains! Stihl chains I like alot but are to much money compared to the carlton chain!

All I ever used for 25 years or so was Carlton. I like the File-O-Plate as it makes sharpening with a file very easy. Maybe I just got spoiled or used to the Carlton chain but I think Oregon chain is real cheap by comparison. I have both Stihl and Carlton chains for my 036 and 066 and I do like the oil grooves in the Sthil chain drivers, but I prefer the Carlton for sharpening.

More recently I have purchased some Windsor and Woodland chain as well but don't have enough experience yet to say how it compares.

I'd say you can't go wrong with Carlton, and be sure to get the right File-O-Plate for a handy guide to sharpening.

Mark

I wouldnt say Carlton is better than Stihl chisel but its damn good. One things for sure Husky safety chain is crap. Best thing I did was change the chain that came on my Husky Rancher, cant believe they put that junk on the saw, even though its a "consumer" saw. Now it CUTS.

hmmmmm i wonder if harder is becoming more brittle??? i wonder if there is combination between hardness and ductileness is the answer... but as you said with bobl tesing the stihl was softer...
If you read my "report" it said there was very little between oregon/stihl/carlton, and for all practical purposes they were the same. Based on what I measured so far I would have to increase the measurement sample size considerably to try to differentiate between all 3. These are the realities of measuring real materials. (but also see problem below)

do you know how he did it?
It was done with a bog standard Vickers Hardness indenter. Diamond Point - RC hardness range. the instrument was calibrated using an NIST standard so these are pretty reliable results.

if the chroming on the stihl was harder would that show up on a tester or would it be to thin and only the tooth material and its heattreating show up?
That is a definite problem. I tested both the chromed and unchromed sufraces and there is no difference between them. But as the diamond indenter is bigger than the thickness of the chrome, it is almost certainly just measuring the hardness of the steel and not the chrome so there could be small differences in the chrome that I have not picked up. Measuring this is a lot trickier and would actually require a bigger more solid piece of chrome from the chain manufacturers.

Besides we don't really care about hardness, what we care about is;
a) How sharp an edge can be generated (carbon steels form very sharpest edges but lose sharpness quickly because they are brittle)
b) How long that edge holds up (that's related more to short and long term toughness which is different from hardness)
c) How easily that edge is reformed (how easily is it to sharpen, eg carbide chains are very hard to resharpen)

These are not something that can be "tested" with a specific machine(s) but is best done by timed cuts in real wood. I have 3 Stihl and 6 Carlton chains that I use on my mill and cannot differentiate between the initial cutting speeds obtained with freshly sharpened stihl or carlton chain. I mill slabs in biggish (30"+) aussie (ie very) hardwood and if I get an 8"/minute initial cutting speed with my 076, I figure that I'm doing well. The limiting step in initial cutting speed is not the brand of chain but how carefully and consistently I can sharpen. This is as good as one can probably measure a)

b) can be assessed by comparing the initial cutting speed with the final cutting speed, ie speed towards the end of cutting +8' long slab, since it will indirectly tell you how much of the edge has worn off during the cutting. If I start with an initial 8"/min and get 6"/min as a final speed I consider that very good going, but sometimes I get final speeds as low as 4" or even 3"/min. On softer hardwoods I cannot tell the difference between the initial and final speeds for the two brands of chains since I reckon the final cutting speed is influenced more by how careful and consistently I can sharpen and set rakers to begin with. However, on really hard wood the final cutting speeds are generally higher when using the Carlton chains. I now rarely let my cutting speeds drop below 4"/min even on the widest slabs. On wider and longer slabs ( eg 45" wide 12' long) sometimes the wood is so hard, I pull the saw out and touch up half way through a slab. Somewhere I read where someone was cutting 5ft wide x 16 ft long Aussie hardwood slabs and they were sharpening up 3 times during one slab.

c) is somewhat irrelevant since I don't find either brand of chain hard to sharpen

maybe the sthil stuff is TOO hard for our hard woods????

?

Last edited:
thanks Bobl
great info there.

what i ment by too hard, is yes they will be able to receive a very sharp edge but wont hold it very long, ie brittle.

the reason i make this coment is that alot of our American friends seen to prefer Sthil chain for sharpness and holding an edge.... now more than us, they cut softwood and it may be fine/optimum there, but in our hardwoods the brittleness may take over????

the other question is Sthil USA chain the same as the Sthil stuff we get here?

unrelated maybe but werent GB making bars for Stihl sales in Australia???

Serg

Serg, the Stihl chain we get here is the genuine, made in Switzerland by Stihl stuff, although a few North Americans have said some of their chain is made in the US ?

GB was supplying Stihl Oz with bars. Matt/MCW has posted up a few pics recently of some of his stock.

thanks Bobl
great info there.
what i ment by too hard, is yes they will be able to receive a very sharp edge but wont hold it very long, ie brittle.

the reason i make this coment is that alot of our American friends seen to prefer Sthil chain for sharpness and holding an edge.... now more than us, they cut softwood and it may be fine/optimum there, but in our hardwoods the brittleness may take over????
I see what you mean but I doubt it - if anything the carlton is harder or as hard as the stihl chain. It could be something related such as the chrome not being as well bonded to the steel and it breaks of easier under our conditions.

the other question is Sthil USA chain the same as the Sthil stuff we get here?
unrelated maybe but werent GB making bars for Stihl sales in Australia???
Yes the big (1.5m) stihl bars are made by GB.

SNIP
Besides we don't really care about hardness, what we care about is;
a) How sharp an edge can be generated (carbon steels form very sharpest edges but lose sharpness quickly because they are brittle)
b) How long that edge holds up (that's related more to short and long term toughness which is different from hardness)
c) How easily that edge is reformed (how easily is it to sharpen, eg carbide chains are very hard to resharpen)

SNIP

No argument here with all of the excellent empirical evidence. I think the milling times are great indicators of how "good" a chain is. In trying to understand the issues of sharpness, edge-holding, sharpenability, and suitability for the application, it is important to take into account the crystalline structure of the steel. Not all high carbon steels are the same, and for some applications, like hand planes, carbon steels (meaning not stainless) are noted for their superior edge-holding. Elements like chromium, vanadium, and molybdenum are added to carbon steel to increase its corrosion resistance, wear resistance, and toughness, but introduce larger crystals which decreases sharpness. Carbon steel takes a very keen edge not because it is hard or soft, but because it is fine-grained -- the crystalline structure is very small due to a smaller quantity of "stainless" elements. Given a steel of a certain alloy, stainless or not, there will be an ideal heat treatment point, rc such and such. Harder, and the steel will be brittle. Softer, and it will not hold an edge. If the steel is lacking, say, corrosion and wear resistance for its application, elements can be added, but usually with a penalty in some other area.

From all the discussion about the difference between chains, it is possible that the engineers from each company looked at the requirements and came to slightly different conclusions regarding what type of steel gave the best performance. From the lack of complete consensus regarding which chain is best, it would seem that the difference cannot be all that much. It would be interesting to know the source for each manufacturer's steel, and even more interesting if it turned out to be the same source for all.

All of the above ignores the issue of the chrome plating. While the chrome plating must serve a purpose in increasing the slickness and corrosion resistance of the chain, I doubt it contributes much to the chain's edge-holding. Chromium by itself is very tough but not very strong, and not very sharpenable due to its large crystals. A sharp edge being the intersection of two perfectly smooth surfaces, if wear is applied, the faster-wearing surface will rule.

Jack

All of the above ignores the issue o the chrome plating. While the chrome plating must serve a purpose in increasing the slickness and corrosion resistance of the chain, I doubt it contributes much to the chain's edge-holding. Chromium by itself is very tough but not very strong, and not very sharpenable due to its large crystals. A sharp edge being the intersection of two perfectly smooth surfaces, if wear is applied, the faster-wearing surface will rule.
Jack

I recall that chrome plating is mainly an alloy of nickel and chrome. Corrosion resistant steel (CRS), commonly called stainless steel, obtains its corrosion resistance from the addition of nickel and chrome. In comparison to high strength tool steels, stainless steel is soft and malleable.

I recall that chrome plating is mainly an alloy of nickel and chrome. Corrosion resistant steel (CRS), commonly called stainless steel, obtains its corrosion resistance from the addition of nickel and chrome. In comparison to high strength tool steels, stainless steel is soft and malleable.

But tool steels use a combination of elements to attain their hardness and other characteristics.

With my limited knowledge of metallurgy, hard chrome (what the manufacturers are using on the outside edge of the cutters, as distinct to decorative chromium) is generally applied to metals as a hardness/anti-wear 'coating'. it will be giving the outside edge some hardness, while maintaining the malleability and ductility of the core of the tooth and therefore resisting breaking or shattering which could happen if it was through hard.

Simple really, are Carlton chains any good?

In the uk they are half the price of Husky/oregon chains!!!

atvb CC

Carlton makes a good chain. I consider Carlton #2 only to Stihl chain. All my low profile chains are Carlton now. All my 3/8 stuff is Stihl. My 2 chain plan.

Back