Carpenters' chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old2stroke

Never too many toys
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
In a new housing project near me, all the plywood and most of the framing lumber is cut with chainsaws, my experience cutting lumber is a regular chainsaw leaves a very rough jagged cut, especially in plywood. Are they using different low kerf chains and different sharpening styles or are they just OK with really rough cuts?

Are they cutting stacks of it at one time? I am not current but there is an attachment often put on a worm drive saw to cut flake board with a few inches of insulation fused to it that I have seen used. At least this technique has a table to establish a square of desired angle, no oiling that I know of. A circular saw especially now with the narrow blades is much more efficient. I do believe Stihl has some product for lumber yards to cut bundles. The small cutter chains leave a pretty nice cut surface like in the 3/8lp 0.043 gauge stuff. Probably the mini 1/4 and .325 stuff now available even more so.

Back