cases and chains

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jkebxjunke

*Politically Incorrect*
Reaction score
Couple of questions...
first one do you keep your saws in a case? ( when not in use of course)
I just picked up on MS 441 ( dang CAD) ... My MS 250 has the Stihl case.. but I have seen the Husqvarna power box.. and it has some feature that are nice too. what do you all like/use? if any
second question... What is a skip chain? and what are the benefits?
sorry for the novice type questions ( but if we don't ask they we don't learn .. right?)

i dont use cases i just use the scabards on the bars. i keep my saws in my truck behind the seat 90% of the time. a skip chain has a cutter every 2 dl if i remember correctly and a semi skip is everyother dl. i might have that screwed up but you get the idea. the good part of skip chains are they allow you to pull a larger bar than you could get away with if you used a full comp chain. hope some of this helped.

ive gotten a wooden box that i keep my saws in. but when my uncle built it for me i only had one saw but now i have 2 so i cant keep them both in it. but i am like most others just use the scabbard.
and on the skip chains they a semi skip has goes
cutter left cutter right drive link cutter left cutter right
a full skip is
cutter left drive link cutter right drive link cutter left drive link
the benifits of this are having less teeth to cut wood with so it does not slow the saw down on really long bars. on a normal 16-24" bar you are only going to see a decrease in performance because your going to have less teeth cutting when your saw can handle a regular chain. but if you have a very long bar the saw power head even when your using something like an MS880 or even a husky 3120 is still going to bog if you had a 48" bar with full teeth, thats why you would need less teeth to lessen the resistance on the saw. i hope my explanation was clear enough, sometimes only i can understand what im trying to say.

I've got two of the powerboxes. I just bought one yesterday. I think they make a saw easier to store and keeps the saw from getting beat up. The powerbox is light, will stack and has plenty of room to put tools and oil in.

I like them because you can grab your box and a lot of your stuff is already packed inside.

Danny

so basically fewer cutting teeth so you saw can handle a longer bar... makes sense

as for case issue.. I like to keep the saw in the case.. it keeps critters out of it (cats like to pee on things) and then I had an incident where some dogs got in my shed and knocked the shelves over and tore the place up if the saw was not in its case I hate to think what would have happened... ( they are no longer stored in the shed and a new door is in place)

My saw came with a case when I bought it so I keep the saw, 3 spare chains, chain files, and the grease gun for the bar sprocket in it. I also keep a rag in the box to clean up when I overfill the bar oil. The case protects everything because it usually rides around in the back of my pickup...under the toneau cover.

I really like the way the case keeps the mess (fuel leaks, bar oil leaks and caked on sawdust) inside for those times I need to put the saw in the cab of my truck.

Couple of questions...
first one do you keep your saws in a case? ( when not in use of course)
I just picked up on MS 441 ( dang CAD) ... My MS 250 has the Stihl case.. but I have seen the Husqvarna power box.. and it has some feature that are nice too. what do you all like/use? if any
second question... What is a skip chain? and what are the benefits?
sorry for the novice type questions ( but if we don't ask they we don't learn .. right?)
I've got a 2171 that came with a case (Jonsered) and I like it. Protects your saw. A 20 inch bar just barely fits in there. Skip tooth chain pulls a little easier than full comp chain. Most of the guys I know that use that use it because it's a lot faster to file.

so basically fewer cutting teeth so you saw can handle a longer bar... makes sense

Performance is not degraded if the chain is selected for the proper reason! My 394XP can EASILY pull a 42" full-comp without bogging. The problem is that anything beyond a 28" full-comp bar and chain will not be able to clear the chips well enough for the teeth to cut well. The skip chain allows more chip clearance and actually increases the cutting speed (less resistance = higher RPM and power; more chip clearing = teeth taking more bite per pass). Another benefit is that there are fewer cutters to keep sharp.

Don't move to skip chain just to be able to run longer bars. Use the proper chain for the right reasons. Use the correct powerhead for the task...

i sometimes keep one or two in my truck toolbox just keep cardboard under them i keep a small toolbox for files weidges hand grinder and keep spare loops of chain in plastic bags with a bit of oil on them........... A WORD OF CAUTION on toolbox's,,,cases and rain,,,,, water will get into them i have been caught out in it also they will fill with water..... i have driiled holes in them to keep the water from staying in them but remember your bed may hold water also and IF YOU DONT LOOK AT THEM AFTER IT RAINED AND SPRAY WD40 ON THEM YOU WILL HAVE A COSTLY MESS

2fatguys.. thanks for the extended info.. I was just curious what the skip chain was and used for... learn something new every day

as for the saws getting wet in the rain.. I don't cut in the rain... and quite frankly if it starts that's a good time to quit.. cause things can get real slippery real quick and slippery = dangerous in my book.

I don't use a case for any of my saws. I hang them from hooks on the wall of my shed.

I have two saws for which I have a 32 inch bar and a 36 inch bar. For these I use full skip chains. Then I have a couple of smaller saws with 18 and 16 inch bars. For these I use full comp (regular) chains.

The thing is how many cutters can the saw power to be cutting at the same time? A saw cuts fastest with speed, so better to have fewer cutters and keep the speed up. Also when using a long bar on a large log, each cutter accumulates a lot of shavings. So there is more room between cutters with a full skip chain for all those cuttings (does not clog up).

i use a case. i also like the fact that all my stuff is in there and ready to go. there is room for extra chain, plug, wrench, safty glasses, files, etc. however i do use the older style stihl cases, not really fond of the new 2 piece ones. BTW can you still get the older one peice cases.?

Back