Cash payment

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zinger

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Why will some guys negotiate a cheaper price if they're paid in cash?

Do some do it so they don't have to pay any sales tax? No paper trail?

Guess I can understand with credit cards if they (card co) charges a fee.

People who accept cash payments are avoiding declaring income to the IRS (most likely) and generally fall into the category of under insured (or not insured).

Additionally, they tend to do sub standard work - at least that's what I see around here.

People who ACCEPT cash payments are avoiding declaring income to the IRS (most likely) and generally fall into the category of under insured (or not insured).

Additionally, they tend to do sub standard work - at least that's what I see around here.

Not to get too deep into semantics, but ACCEPT is probably not the right term you need-- 'negotiate for', 'demand', etc. are more to the point. I have never turned down cash payment-- and I do pay taxes, carry ins., etc.....

I see no problems with asking for cash, but when I was getting estimates it was always cheaper if I paid in cash. One guy even said flat out. I charge with sales tax if you pay with a check, but none if you pay cash.

cash is king!

im fully insured and i do very high quality work, but i will always try to give the customer a better price if they pay cash, and they get no invoice or contract, absolutely no paper trail. saves me money on taxes and gives me pocket cash, can even spread it to the workers too and save on comp premiums by lowering gross pay.

the way i see it its hard for everyone to make a living, even the homeowners, they deserve to save some money when they can, and so do we. the government gives away so much money for welfare for the bums that dont want to work hard...dont those of us who do work hard deserve something too?

People who accept cash payments are avoiding declaring income to the IRS (most likely) and generally fall into the category of under insured (or not insured).

OR, They don't have to come home from the Post Office today , and open the letter from the BANK with the " BEAT FU#$ING CHECK " in it !!!!!!!!! The one with the $15 fee , on top of it !!!! and then try to chase thier money !!!!! like i'm going to have to do , next week,, when i get back !!

Ha, It's usually the homeowners that ask me if there's a discount for paying cash, happened today matter of fact. The answer is always NO

unless it's a friend

It's called getting paid.

I don't work for free, nor do I plan on allowing a customer to heat his home on my nickel and sweat. All the other benefits of a cash transaction are secondary.

My firewood is always paid for at the time of the last delivery to finish the order. New customers or people that have not been referred to me by a reliable repeat customer pay cash period. This is made very clear when the order is taken and again before the first stick is thrown off. I'm even contemplating going to a per pickup load price so they have to pay on each delivery. (Regular repeat customers excluded)

In the past I have gone back and loaded the pile back on the truck when a check bounced. Usually the bed was about 1/2 full when the cash miraculously appeared.

Anybody that's been in the business for a while will have many interesting tales I'm sure.

Take Care

Back