Catalpa too old for root pruning? Gridling problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichardAlan

Reaction score
I have a catalpa tree that has some girdling roots just above the surface. I'm now noticing a few areas of the tree are slow to leaf out and appear a bit weaker than the rest of the tree. I've read that on mature trees precautions should be taken, and I'm wondering just what can be done.

I'm not sure how old the tree is but if I had to guess I'd say about 30 years. It's about 30-35 feet in height, and the trunk is between 2 and 3 feet in diameter.

There are two problem roots that I can see, and one overlaps the other.

As a plan of action, I was going to wait until after it flowers in the next month or so to start work and I'm wondering on whether I should remove the first outer root and see how it responds next year then come back for the second, or tackle both in one go. I'd set up an irrigation system, as well, for the remaining months until dormancy.

Other than the few branches that are appearing weak, the rest of the tree is still full of vigor and flushing out well.

P1020162.jpg

In the photo, the first root I'm talking about is to the left and starts between the bit of ivy and the small group of weeds closest to the hostas. The second root begins to the right and it's origination appears to be almost a part of the trunk at this point.

Thanks for any and all of your help

I'd cut that one coming across the front. You know it is damaging the tree if you don't. I 'd suggest just getting as deep into it as you can without damaging the bark of the trunk. even if you just get a cut in it, that will allow the tree to start pushing it out. It would be nice to remove the whole thing, but that is a tough one to learn on, so that is why I am suggesting just making a cut so the tree can push it out.

I'd cut that one coming across the front. You know it is damaging the tree if you don't. I 'd suggest just getting as deep into it as you can without damaging the bark of the trunk. even if you just get a cut in it, that will allow the tree to start pushing it out. It would be nice to remove the whole thing, but that is a tough one to learn on, so that is why I am suggesting just making a cut so the tree can push it out.

That's a good point, I hadn't considered that option and letting the tree push it out on its own. That method might come in handy. I should have mentioned that after these photos were taken I did begin to excavate a bit to follow that root and close to the beginning at the front of this photo there are other roots feeding perpendicular to the problem root. I've been planning on making the first cut about one foot away from the trunk and then cutting the other few roots left over that are feeding into it to see how it reacts and how much stress is relieved and work from there. You're right about this being a tough first go, but I don't mind a challenge. If this had been my tree years ago I'd like to think I would have spotted the problem earlier on. I'll update with a new photo tomorrow to show exactly what I mean.

Start first by carefully excavating soil with some hand tools. That will better reveal the situation. Come back with more photos.

P1020220marked.jpg
It's hard to see in this photo so I marked in green near where the outside root begins to the left to show how the root also goes directly into the ground and doesn't wrap at all so I plan on ending the cut there. Obviously the marks in red are cuts, and the green is to help highlight the root paths. I plan on going back with a stiff brush to see more of what's happening in the top right hand corner and other areas. It looks as though the inside girdled root is running into and then maybe turning or possibly running under the far right anchor, but I don't plan on working on the larger, inside root this year. For reference, the outside root is about 3 inches in diameter at it's largest. I also plan on bringing the grade down by at least a couple inches at the front and left.

Edit: I'm not sure why, but my second post on this thread where I mentioned that I had previously done the excavation and the original photo is a bit dated is still awaiting moderation

Back