catalpa wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

my trees

Reaction score
We just cut down a very large northern catalpa 70ft and 3 ft in dia. There is a section that is straight and is 25ft and 3ft in dia. is this worth any money to sell. Thank you

I have a catalpa paneled wall from a tree I took down many years ago when I was in production. 16" wide ship lapped boards, lots of color & interesting grain, like the look. Find a buyer good stuff!

characteristics_and_value_of_catalpa_1.jpg

SOUTHERN catalpa might be dif from the northern variety. We do have worms on ours, they go for about a quarter each for fish bait.

It may be of interest to a wood carver. Catalpa is good carving wood, beautiful grain, weather and insect resistant. Some carvers are always looking for large wood, no pun intended. Maybe contact a local wood carving club? Don't burn it or waste it.

Second on the carving wood. If you go to woodcarvingillustrated.com there are lots of carvers that might have interest in that. I've seen medium size pieces go for a premium in places where they don't grow. Fortunately I have access to catalpa, cherry, and lots of walnut so I'm set for carving. Catalpa holds details really well. More popular with the power carvers than hand carvers though.

Many say Basswood is the ultimate for detail. When I carved I must agree but the grain is only slightly visible, great for items to be painted. Look at the prices for chunks of basswood sold for carving. A lot of folks throw it away as junk. An opportunity for sure.

Yes, I do have to buy basswood here. I just gave fin460 about half of mine because he bought two carving knives I made off me. Well we traded. That's how I got my stihl 031. Then he came back today and I traded him some carving tools for a Poulan and a stihl bar and chain. We like each other's stuff haha! Anyway, basswood is a nice soft carving wood also known as linden outside the states. But it is so soft that it doesn't hold the finest details from a power carving session: that's where catalpa comes in.

Back